The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
jordanblea

No pinion seal on donor rear end, clean area and go?

Hey there fellas, first post here thanks for all of the info that I have been able to pick thru and get me this far! Anyways I am replacing my 12 bolt rear with another from the wrecking yard and am about ready to put everything back together. Being my first rear end job I wasn't 100% on what does or does not need to be on it. Turns out there is no pinion seal and it is all dirty where the seal goes. What needs to be done, can it just be cleaned out with break cleaner? I am here looking for direction, so please and thank you! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Thanks again!!
jordanblea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Re: No pinion seal on donor rear end, clean area and go?

It should be taken apart and cleaned, Install new bearings and seal. Good time to check and replace the axle bearings and seals as well. If your going thru all the work to swap diffs, then this is what I would do. It will be better in the long run
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
truckster

You need to at least remove the bearings and inspect them closely. Replace all the seals. Check the gears for wear.

Dirt, dust, and moisture are not the friends of bearings and gears.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
jordanblea

Thank you guys, taking apart is what I am trying to avoid lol. I am not familiar with shims and backlash and what not, yet! I called the wrecking yard and kinda raised a little hell and they had another one same gears and all that I just went and picked up. Everything is there, looks like anyways. Before I install it's probobly a good idea to pull the cover and inspect, at least get fresh oil in there I would think. Thanks again for your input!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanblea View Post
Thank you guys, taking apart is what I am trying to avoid lol. I am not familiar with shims and backlash and what not, yet! I called the wrecking yard and kinda raised a little hell and they had another one same gears and all that I just went and picked up. Everything is there, looks like anyways. Before I install it's probobly a good idea to pull the cover and inspect, at least get fresh oil in there I would think. Thanks again for your input!
I would still inspect the seals (look for signs of leaking) and bearings (turn the axles and listen for unpleasant noises). If everything checks out, fresh oil and you're down the road....
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
jordanblea

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I would still inspect the seals (look for signs of leaking) and bearings (turn the axles and listen for unpleasant noises). If everything checks out, fresh oil and you're down the road....
Thats the plan! From here on no news is good news I guess! Thanks again guys. (Keeping em crossed, lol)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
jordanblea

Ok guys so much for the no news good news part! I have learned a load here in the last few days lol. Anyways tried my 3rd rear from the yard, no go (didnt leave the yard this time tho). So I got my money back. So I put my feelers out and got put in touch with a guy who does rear ends (doesn't sound right lol) and he is going to set it up, and do the breaks for me. Will be ready by tuesday at the latest, ready to put back on. Turns out its a posi too, and from what I hear this is good/rare? He seemed excited anyways. I'll do some reading on this. Anyways my friend filled him kinda where we stand, I have a couple of young ones and my wife stays home for now so we were trying to do it cheaper with a swap trying to avoid the rebuild in a shop. He said he would "take it easy on me" lol. Hes a good old boy who has set up thousands of rear ends, he laughed at me when I pulled up in the wifes Subaru with the rear end in there. I had it down to the housing and labled all the parts and where they came from. Cant wait till shes running again!! Anyways, probobly more than you guys wanted to know but there is light at the end of the tunnel! BTW I will never go back to that yard for anything!!