The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
silverc10

Bad vibration - found the cure

Hats off to the guys at Universal Automotive in Concord, NC. I've had a bad high speed vibration in my 82 SWB since I bought the truck off Craigslist 4 years ago. Prior owner did a static drop by relocating the spring perches in the back but never finished out the truck. Once I get to 60mph and past 65mph it droned and vibrated the floor on deceleration. I rarely get out on the highway so I've never put alot of effort into resolving the problem. Looked at every post on the forum and was about to order new wheels and tires. Pinion angle was within 4 degrees. Yesterday I had some time in the afternoon to run up to Universal Automotive and explain to them what was going on. We put the truck on the lift and found the drive shaft was 1-1/2" too short (custom shaft from the first build). As a result it wore out the bushing and seal in the tailshaft of the trans, grooved the slip yoke, was failing the u-joints and wore out the saddles in the yoke on the diff. Some of this was no doubt just age of the truck but within 90 minutes these guys had fabbed out a new steel drive shaft and replaced everything between the trans and the diff! They had all the loose parts on the shelf. First time in owning the truck that I could jump into the hammer lane on the interstate and pass at will. Smooooooooth right through acceleration and deceleration at any speed. Truck can definately haul *ss now.

Many thanks to the guys at Universal Automotive in Concord, NC
www.universalautomotiveconcordnc.com

silverc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
meatwagon83

Re: Bad vibration - found the cure

that truck is cool, leave it right like that
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Slammedsi

Love the wheels. What are the specs? Brand?
Posted via Mobile Device
Slammedsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
gramps77

Thats one of the nicest trucks Ive seen in a long while. Id drive it as often as I could. VERY nice! and glad you got your vibration worked out
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Damon23

Thanks for posting that. It is frustrating to search and find the questions but you rarely find where they came back and posted the solution. I've run into issues with vibration before and it gets expensive chasing one. I agree, good looking truck n
Posted via Mobile Device

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
silverc10

Quote:
Damon23 Re: Bad vibration - found the cure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for posting that. It is frustrating to search and find the questions but you rarely find where they came back and posted the solution. I've run into issues with vibration before and it gets expensive chasing one. I agree, good looking truck n
Posted via Mobile Device

In and out the door for a tick over $500.00. I probably could have got away for less and replaced just the drive shaft but now I know its right.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Damon23

I had a issue in my silver 80 Z28. Same thing, hit about 55 and it would vibrate. I pulled the first thing I did was pull the driveshaft, replace the bushing in the transmission and seal and took the driveshaft down for a balance and check. Turned out the driveshaft had a bend that could not be fixed. New shaft and u-joints and I was golden. Guys have replaced brake drums, spent time checking pinion angles, mounts, wheels and tires to only have it be something simple. With stuff like this, if not obvious then take it to a pro.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
silverc10

UPDATE - drove the 4 hours to Myrtle Beach over the weekend for the Run to the Sun show. Followed my buddy who set the cruise at 70mph for a good part of the way. The 4.11 gears in the back kept the tach at about 2800rpm. Smooooooth. What a great time and a great ride.