The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Mr S.

1976 Chevrolet Scottsdale K20 question

Hello, This is my first post and I'm not real good with computers, I tried to use the search bar but I think I did it wrong?

I have a 1976 Chevy scottsdale K20, It's a full time four wheel drive pickup.

I'm having troubles with my transfer case, Its hard to shift through all the selections. Its hard from Hi to Hi-loc, hard from L to Lo-loc hard through all of them. I mean putting feet on dash and yanking on it hard. Moving doesn't seem to help Ive been in Neutral rolling forward rolling backward. Everything.

BUT when its really warmed up and I have been driving it most the day it switchs nice and easy?

Please help I'm new to the four wheeldrive parts. Thanks Josh.
Mr S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Zane M

Re: 1976 Chevrolet Scottsdale K20 question

Check the fluid level in the transfer case. The 203 can be hard to shift if the level is low.

Someone with more knowledge will probably stop in with advice on how to check/adjust the linkage if needed.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Mr S.

Ok, would the low fluid account for why it shifts easier after its got a few miles on it.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Mr S.

Crud, Also what fluid do I use if it is low.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
lap15

I have a '75 K20 with a NP203. I found that since it's a full-time case you don't shift it very often and dirt/stone dust can cake on the shift linkages making it hard to shift. Take the rubber floor mat out, unscrew the shift indicator plate and rubber boot from the floor, then unbolt the trans tunnel- that will give you clear access to transfer case shifter. Spray some type of de-greaser all over the shift linkage and wipe them down. Then use PB or WD40 on the linkages, put the trans shifter in neutral with engine off and try shifting the transfer case thru the full range. Once you get it moving freely apply a water proof grease to the linkages and shift it a few more times to get everything lubed. NOTE: If you add oil to the transfer case the NP203 takes regular 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil Let us know how you make out. Lou.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Mr S.

Great thanks! I'll Try cleaning the Linkage and checking the oil level when it warms up a bit this week and I'll let you all know how I make out. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Mr S.

Well I used some air pressure and some WD-40 and it seems to work better still kinda choppy and gritty feeling now but I'm able to use it. When it gets done storming I change the oil and top it off and clean the linkage real good. Thanks again everybody.