The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Bret B

Re: Cab stand/cradlbe or support question

So as of the last posting I made on this, I was able to get the glass out, a 2x4 cab lift made and used an aluminum table I already had.

The glass did scare me, and I think there are others who may read this later and be hesitant as well. Fear not, if your windshield is not cracked, or damaged, it is likely the windshield will come out just fine. That is I'm suggesting for 64-66 models, pre 64 models have the heavier curve in the glass of course and I have no clue how stable/sturdy those would be. What I did was actually a mistake. I intended to clean out some of the ago old dirt and gunk from around the seal. As I was cleaning it, I went just a bit deeper under the seal, and the tip of my pick went straight through. I thought for a moment and figured oh well, no loss, I have to replace the seal anyway. That is when it hit me, if I cut the seal all the way around the glass, the glass would literally fall out. Box cutter in hand, between the glass and seal, and cut. Went like butter all the way around. Tapped the glass on the inside and it came right out. No damage and no cracks. I was a happy boy.

The aluminum table is just the perfect hight. Construction wise, it is a single center post 8~10inch diameter, 1x1 upright supports, 4inch x 3/16in thick C channel top and bottom, and 1/8 inch thick sheet top. Sturdy is an understatement. Got it from a concrete company that was closing up locally.

Thanks for all the input and the pictures above.

Bret
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote