The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
bsa1969

Help!

Ive got a question. I just finished my engine swap in my 70 c10. I went from a 250 inline 6 and 3 speed manual trans to a 350- 4 bolt main and a th350 trans. Ive got the engine rinning and last night i installed my hurst ratchet shifter. I made shure everything is adjusted and tried to put it into gear. The trans just acted like its in nutral. After looking some more, i realised that the trans cooler lines were not put on there. Is that why the trans wouldnt go into gear. Also, the trans fluid just kinda dripped out and didnt spray. I put a new filter and fluid in there before i installed it. Also i didnt take the trans off the engine before i installed it so there is fluid in the converter. This motor and trans combo was working great in the truck i just took it out of. It was my dads 69 c10 that was to far gone but the motor and trans prob has around 3,500 miles on it since it was rebuilt.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
~Whitey~

Re: Help!

If you put it in gear and it acts like neutral, it's either toast, not actually in gear, or you don't have enough fluid in the transmission, which sounds like the problem to me since you say the cooler lines are not on there (is it leaking out the side?) and you left it all together when you installed it, meaning you would have had to tip it back quite a bit during installation and let fluid leak out. You said you didn't separate it from the engine and it worked fine before so I wouldn't think it was a torque convertor/pump problem...
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Sammy

Re: Help!

Even just a quart low the th350 will not engage properly n cause problems.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote