The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
76er

New to forum, need ideas

Hello members, fairly new here. Just bought a 56 stepside that i'm anxious to get to work on but i have some questions. I'm trying to stay within a tight budget as i have two in college so what ever i do has to be cost effective and done all by me so calling up Brothers or Classic Industries and saying send me a $2500.00 mustang 2 sispension or send me a 800.00 disk brake conversion kit or a 1000.00 ididit or flaming river columm or, well you get the picture. I do plan on buying the 3 inch drop front straight axle that will bolt in and one of the kits to adapt my on disc brake parts but is there a later tilt columm that i can adapt and are there specific parts i can go to the salvage yard and buy to get power steering in my truck, and a later rear end that is pretty much the same width that will replace my old truck rear? I mean how did everybody build street cruisers before there were all these mailorder houses where all we have to be is rich to get whatever our minds can imagine
for these trucks? Any suggestions would br very helpful.
76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: New to forum, need ideas

Unfortunately nothing is cheap when we rebuild a Fifty something year old vehicle back to its former glory. I would suggest look at the top of this forum projects/build section and see what persons have done and learn from there mistakes or modifications. Nothing is real frustrating than re-inventing the wheel. Believe me I have done some blunders and should have read a little closely when building my 56 Truck. I would suggest make a to do list such as suspension, brakes, power train, body work etc..Good luck and post a pic of your build!

If your going to use a straight axle read all the info this guy did to his truck. He has a lot of info on solid axle.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=460642

Last edited by Rude Dude; 03-23-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Clarance J

Hello 76er. I'm not the official greeter and have only been here a couple of weeks myself. There are bunches of guys on this forum doing excellent builds so you've picked the right place for answers. But need more information about your truck. Is it running or drivable. What has the PO done to it that you might want to keep or change, etc. Also to answer your question about parts the answer is yes. I would suggest that you look through the builds and see what the others have done and chose something that you would be comfortable with. How are your fab skills? For alot of these builders almost any thing would be a walk in the park, they have already found the mines. So tell us more and ask the questions. You will get answers. Good luck on your project. It will be fun.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Kim57

Welcome to the forum.
As the others have said make a game plan and then read the projects and builds section lots of great info in there.
Kim
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
G&R's57GMC

Post a few pic's of your truck we like pictures here.

I started with a clean truck that had a few spots of rust and a great patina.
I repaired the corner of the kick panel that rusted through.
I replaced the engine with a used one. Got a set of used tires and wheels for it.
Installed a tool box and tail lights.
It's a 6 cylinder granny box 4 speed, and a HOOT to drive.

I've been pleasure driving it for the last 24 years, Oh and the other day I gave it a theme.
Attached Images

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 03-23-2013 at 07:18 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
sqrlnts

Ditto the above comments plus this. Take your budget and cut it in half. Put half away in a savings account for 6 months. Trust me when I say your "all inclusive" beginning wish list is far from what it will take to complete the job, lots of unforseen issues will need solved.

Make a list of things/goals you have for your truck. Do you want a cruiser, an auto crosser, a drag truck, a shop truck, a tow truck, a daily driver, a weekend cruiser, a long distance hauler, you get the idea. I guess my point is if you try to make it everything you will get frustrated and run out of money quick and then your project will turn into a money pit you sell for a big loss.

Shop on Ad Huntr for parts all across the US, you would be suprised what you can find and who is willing to work with you on shipping. Search for answers before you ask. Thank those who answer when you do ask.

Keep a list of what parts you use for example the rear end. 2 years from know when you need to replace the pinion seal you will thank yourself.

Good luck and have fun!
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote