The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
LDO

Harmonic Balancer on 283

Was wondering if anyone has seen this type of balancer and crank pulley setup before. I have another 283 that isn't set up this way. The timing tab on this one is welded to the cover and has a O and an A and a few hash marks.

When I was checking to see what my timing was at idle, (had the vac adv plugged) manual trans in neutral, the slit cut into the balancer was about 1.5 inches away from the left most edge of the timing tab. Motor idles nice and smooth, no pinging, no hesitation, starts right up, shuts down properly. Not going to mess with something that appears to work but what I saw with my timing light doesn't make sense.

Am I correct in thinking...
-Looks like the crank is drilled for a center bolt.
-Is the spacer there to make the pulleys line up with such a skinny balancer?
-Do I need the timing tape on this style balancer?

thanks in advance...
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
awbrown

Re: Harmonic Balancer on 283

I have had issues with proper alignment of timing marks before and have removed the #1 spark plug and rolled the engine back and forth with a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole to verify TDC it is pretty easy to tell if the lines are not right , a few degrees may be hard to verify , but any more than that is easy ...If it is off any amount and the balancer doesn't appear like the rubber is loose or defective you can use the positive stop method ,turn the engine against it in one direction and mark it then back the opposite way and mark it .. TDC is in the middle of the marks ,always remember to remove the stop before cranking it over....lol
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Factory crank snout wouldn't have been drilled.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
padresag

it could me a mismatch of parts. run the eng nbr. lots of things get changed over the years
it could be a 305, 307 or a 350 block stuck in there with 283 heads and crank pulley
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
LDO

I'll try to get some #s on this motor. Still has the road draft tube so I'm pretty sure it is a 283 but I'm still curious as to the year.

Also, pretty sure I saw a center bolt in the balancer so I'm hoping the PO had the crank drilled.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote