The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Jayschevy

Truck won't start????

I have a 71 C10 350 truck with carb and hei. I went out this afternoon to start the truck and it wouldn't start. It turns over but does not start. I have a hi torque starter on it. While having someone turn the key I went and looked under the truck. The starter is turning the flywheel so I'm not sure if it's the starter or not.
Over the past month the truck has been starting great with no issues but I have been noticing that if I shut the truck off, it doesn't start as easy if I try to start it within 5 mins or so of shuting it off.
Anybody have any suggestions what my issue might be?
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
buckskins4ever

Re: Truck won't start????

pull the air cleaner and check your getting fuel. If getting fuel, pull the cylinder 1 plug wire and use a spare plug to check for spark. If getting spark to the plug.....I would recommend checking all plugs to see that you are not fouled out on at least 5 of them. Sometimes if they are getting hard to start after running, can be a case of flooding, which could be from fouled plugs not burning off fuel properly. Start there. Wont be starter if you can see flywheel turning.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yeah, if it's turning your starter is not the problem. As buckskin mentioned, check the spark plug and if you don't see a spark it could be HEI module.

Also, if the engine has a quadrajet you could have leaking well plugs. If you smell fuel and/or dark gray or black smoke comes out of the exhaust when first starting it and you can't see where it's leaking from, you will have to take the carb off and check for that problem.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Jayschevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
pull the air cleaner and check your getting fuel. If getting fuel, pull the cylinder 1 plug wire and use a spare plug to check for spark. If getting spark to the plug.....I would recommend checking all plugs to see that you are not fouled out on at least 5 of them. Sometimes if they are getting hard to start after running, can be a case of flooding, which could be from fouled plugs not burning off fuel properly. Start there. Wont be starter if you can see flywheel turning.
I think I'm getting fuel because I smell it. I'll try to find a spare plug to check for spark. Also what would a fouled plug look like. I can pull the plugs and look at them however, I did just changed them last year. They are less than a year old.

How do I prevent the plugs from fouling?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
truckster

From what you're describing, I think you need to rebuild your carb. If the smell of gas is strong at the exhaust, that's a good indication.

Next time you have a hard time starting it, pull the air cleaner cover and see if the choke is open. If it's not, your choke coil may be bad or it may just be disconnected.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Jayschevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
From what you're describing, I think you need to rebuild your carb. If the smell of gas is strong at the exhaust, that's a good indication.

Next time you have a hard time starting it, pull the air cleaner cover and see if the choke is open. If it's not, your choke coil may be bad or it may just be disconnected.
I have an electric choke and it's close when I try to start the truck and I smell gas by the carb not the exhaust.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

First of all, make sure you have spark. If yes, try this:

Use a screw driver or something to hold the chock completely open, then hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and try to start the engine.

It sounds like it is flooded and your choke may be adjusted incorrectly or you have a bad chock pull off.

it may take a minute to get going but do not pump or let the accelerator go back to idle. The engine needs air.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Aaron Burkemper

Sometimes a sunk float will cause what you are describing. It starts easier after sitting a while or first thing in the morning. I would lean toward some kind of carb issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayschevy View Post
I think I'm getting fuel because I smell it. I'll try to find a spare plug to check for spark. Also what would a fouled plug look like. I can pull the plugs and look at them however, I did just changed them last year. They are less than a year old.

How do I prevent the plugs from fouling?
too much fuel or "running rich" is a huge result of improper carb settings. Once too much fuel is tried to burn over and over it will foul plugs. Can take as short as 2-3 times of driving. I am unfortunately no good with carbs, just have had my share of headaches with running rich. I have seen carbs running rich for numerous reasons. If you can find someone to help tune the carb you will come a long ways.
Fouled plugs generally will be black and almost kinda a charcoal residue on them. The entire plug will be black. Good thing is that plugs are dirt cheap for stock 350's.
You could see if someone would rebuilt your carb, I personally would just go buy a Holley Street Avenger and run it right off the shelf.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
cdowns

i would pull spark plugs and clean and gap them // then i would go to the distributor and clean the points and set the dweel
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Jayschevy

The plugs are definitely fouled. I pulled them this morning. Is there anything I can do about this other than having someone tune my carb? Meanwhile I'm getting some plugs today.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
cdowns

i'd spray the spark plugs with wd40 and use a wirebrush clean them up and gap them

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Shyguy

Your chock may not be opening after the initial start. We don't even run chokes on our Chevy trucks, of course we don't drive them when it gets real cold outside.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Jayschevy

How hard is it to adjust the A/F mixture? How is it done?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
cdowns

is your sparkplug fouling gas or oil related// u should maybe figure that out

rebuilding and sticking to turning screws and dials on a carb will not help oil consumption issues

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Jayschevy

Replaced the plugs and the truck fired right up. Guess I need to adjust my air / fuel mixture. The plugs had carbon build up on them.