The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Root2812

Wire Harness Questions.

Alot of you guys have rewired your trucks so I am hoping you can point me in the right direction.

I've got a running driving original 1950 Chevy. Everything is stock (for now). I have the truck road worthy and I picked up an extra frame to build my chassis on so that I could enjoy my truck during the long long long time it will take me to build it. The plan is to get my chassis done with an LS engine and an automatic. After its all done I'll do the body work and swap the trucks body over onto the finished frame.

I intend to drive my truck as is for a few years but the wiring is really scary.

With that said, I really need to redo the wiring so that I don't watch my truck burn on the side of the road. Right now its a 6 volt system and I plan to convert it to a 12 volt with an alternator when I rewire it. I don't want to waste money wireing twice so I need help picking out the correct harness.

I am not sure how many circuits to buy. Since the LS will be a 3 wire hook up with a modified engine harness, can I use the same harness with the 216 as I will with the LS? What did you guys use?

Thanks in advance for the recomendations.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: Wire Harness Questions.

Call these guys- they have great customer service and a quality product.

http://www.wiringharness.com/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Root2812

I'm sure atleast one of you guys has wired your AD.....

Thanks DPowers. Once I figure out what I need in a harness I will consider those guys.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Atommik

Hey Greg,

I bought the EZ wiring harness 21 circuit. (Not installed yet). It's probably more than I'll need even if I add Pwr locks and windows...I just figured I'd rather have too much than have to add more later. The cost for the 21 is not much more than the next lowest number of circuits. I would certainly think the 21 circuit would be good with the LS motor set up.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Hey Greg,

I bought the EZ wiring harness 21 circuit. (Not installed yet). It's probably more than I'll need even if I add Pwr locks and windows...I just figured I'd rather have too much than have to add more later. The cost for the 21 is not much more than the next lowest number of circuits. I would certainly think the 21 circuit would be good with the LS motor set up.
Where did you get it from? You are right, maybe I should just get more circuits than I'll need so I'll be ok in the future. Thanks for chimeing in.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
_Ogre

wiring is something you'd want to do after the frame swap and body work.
it would be difficult to wire a truck and then remove the harness to pull the body apart and swap frames.

when you get to it... it is the zen part of putting your truck together.
you will understand how your truck works better than any time before, you will have intimate knowledge of every wire in your truck.
you will have a better understanding of how your blinkers work and where the stop light circuit feeds in and out of the multifunction switch.
your headlight switch will make sense, no longer will it be a bunch of wires coming out of a chunk of stuff.
get a ezwire harness, they are decent quality and cheap. 12 circuit if your basic, 21 if your adding power: seats, windows, alarm system, cruise and all the other goodies.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Root2812

I wish I could wait until the project is done but I don't want to watch my truck burn on the side of the road and the 63 year old wireing is bad. I plan on driving this thing for a few years while I build the other chassis up. If I wait until the end to wire it then I may as well stop driving it and that isn't the plan. Thanks for the advice though. I know that to be able to enjoy my truck while I build the other frame up I am going to have to do things twice. In this case I know I will be wireing my truck just to pull the wireing back up in a few years so I can sent the cab to the blasters before I assemble the truck on the other frame. I just want to be able to reuse what ever wireing I get this time so that I am not pissing away money.

Its probably not the ideal way to go about this but its the best for my situation.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Hey Greg,

Atommik, I went to EZ wireing's website. Those prices are alot better than others so I am going to go with the 21 circuit from them. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
62lwbc10

I just literally a few minutes ago finished completely rewiring my 58. Every wire is brand new. I used the original style harnesses from Classic parts; also got brand new ignition and headlight switch, both original style. I have absolutely no experience with wiring and am generally not comfortable with electricity. The instructions were good and each wire was numbered. Had to do a little modification here and there since I have HEI, but thanks to the good folks on this site I was able to finish and now, for the first time, EVERYTHING works! Ogre is right, now I understand how the system works and I am intimately aware of every wire and what it does. I was terrified when the full harness set arrived, but in retrospect its not that bad. Just did a little every day and in 3-4 days I was done. I have a horn now! And turn signals that work! And all instrument lights working (even one in the ignition switch!), And all gauges working! And....
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Atommik

Greg,
yeah, I bought mine straight off their website too...

Tom
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Root2812

Bought and on its way! Now I'll have to order the rest of the 12V conversion stuff and I'll be good to go.