The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
forestb

alignment issues

I was wondering if anybody has run in to the problem of lowering there truck so much that it puts too much strain on the bolts that hold the upper a-arm to the frame because it has been aligned so much that there are too many spacers on the bolt and therefore the a-arms are too far out on the bolt? If so is there a solution? I have heard that they sell tubular a-arms that are longer to make up for that problem.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Turkey

Re: alignment issues

you can loosen the nuts where the shims are and take 1 at a time out until it's close or take it to a local alignment shop that you have called first to make sure they can align classic vehicles
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
you can loosen the nuts where the shims are and take 1 at a time out until it's close or take it to a local alignment shop that you have called first to make sure they can align classic vehicles
Thank you for your quick reply but I must not have been clear. My worry is that there are too many shims and that the a-arm and nuts are too fart out on the bolts. Which might or might not cause a lot more stress to be put on the bolts. I hope that my question is more clear now.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
stealth_weapons

when i dropped mine i used tubular A arms and didnt have the issue you are concerned with. i used a POL disc brake conversion with tubular upper and lowers. that alignment did take 2.5 hrs but it was spot on in the end and didnt use as many shims.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438235
stealth_weapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Turkey

are you driving the truck at the lowered height or laying it down when you get somewhere. If your driving it then it should be kinda wacky to drive and an alignment would take care of that. If your dropping it and hanging out, I can see your concern for the bolt as the front end drops. I haven't heard of anyone breaking bolts, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
boucher racing

I have really slammed my truck. I don't have any idea how many inches dropped, but it is about as low as it can go with the stock setup.

I have been looking and think I finally located some shocks that will be short enough. My eye to eye measurement of the front shocks is 10" at ride height. Sorry that's a side note!

Anyways, after installing the shocks, I will be taking it to an alignment shop. When I called the shop to ask if lowered and vintage friendly, he says" hell, I was working on these trucks when they were brand new". I knew I found the right shop.

I will report what he does and says. I have quite a bit of negative chamber as it sits.

Boucher'
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587639
boucher racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
blazins10

sometimes u need to pop out the upper control arm bolts and replace with longer ones
or raise the upper control arm mount
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

This is an interesting topic, as I need to replace my front shocks (I'm on the 72 crossmember) and noticed my upper A-arm is on a stack of shims.

How do the tubulars eliminate this?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote