The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Jsieger89

performance powerstearing?

power stearing is leaking on my 87 is there a upgrade available for replacing this
Posted via Mobile Device
Jsieger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Tdubbyount

Re: performance powerstearing?

Where is it leaking from? How bad is it leaking? What kind of performance upgrade are you looking for? Very vague question you have here.
Posted via Mobile Device

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
kalbert

Simple answer is no, there's not a factory bolt on quick ratio box or anything. There are some aftermarket quick boxes available but they aren't cheap. I also think I've heard of people using the smaller box from an S10/F/G/A body but I don't know that it was worth the trouble. There's also rack and pinion kits available (or piece together you're own), but again not cheap and in the end I don't know if it's worth doing or not. Any details you can post about the problem will help people give better answers though.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Jsieger89

the problem is my power stealing pump is leaking so I am going to replace it, I was just curious if a power stealing pump is a power stealing pump or if there was aftermarket pumps that might perform better. What would be the advantage to puting a smaller box in from a s10? also what could I take a rack in pension out of at a pick in pull that would be a nice upgrade for me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Jsieger89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubbyount View Post
Where is it leaking from? How bad is it leaking? What kind of performance upgrade are you looking for? Very vague question you have here.
Posted via Mobile Device
it is leaking from the top were the stealing colon goes in. Not leaking to bad but bad enuf that it makes a mess and pisses me off. I was originally just wondering if there was anything I could replace it with that would be better then what's there but I am interested in any way I could increase handels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
silvereagle07

Here's a link to the AGR super box sb2. http://www.agrperformance.com/Gearbo...sports.htm#SB2

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
kalbert

A power steering pump is for the most part a power steering pump. Some of them have different valves to provide different levels of assistance, but they need to be matched to the application. It's not really a performance part. Replacing the seals in it is relatively easy with the right tools, else a remanufactured unit is probably the way to go and not real expensive.

Some of the smaller boxes found on S10's and such have a quicker ratio (eg turning the steering wheel 1/4 turn moves the wheels further with a quick ratio box than a standard one). Rack and pinion is generally lighter weight & gives better feedback and usually has a faster ratio as well. Both are pretty involved swaps requiring some fabrication and alot of money, there aren't any factory parts that will just bolt on. I believe UniSteer makes a rack and pinion kit.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
69GMC910
MOTORHEAD!

Anybody running the AGR one?
Posted via Mobile Device

AFR 265
Holley 850
Performer RPM Air Gap
Hooker 2455's
TCI Turbo 400 Super Street Fighter
TRRC 12 Bolt
Eaton Posi
Mark Williams Axles
Cal-Tracs
Hoosier 30x10.5 Radial Slick
Full weight long box pickup
Current best- 11.33@117mph
69GMC910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
silvereagle07

I was just searching the site and read an old thread saying the gears are the same as the stock steering gear rebuilt but with different fittings (captkaos) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429565. Now I'm confused. I was looking into that one to replace mine. Someone else suggested Red Head Steering Gears.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote