The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Midgets50

strengthing frame

Anyone have any good ideas for strengthening the frame on the AD trucks. Ive got a 1 1/2 ton truck so im assuming its thicker steel then the smaller trucks. I know boxing is a usual method but even boxing the frame under the motor doesn't seem like it would be enough.
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: strengthing frame

I've got a 1-1/2 ton truck and I cut up the mate to it when I bought the pair a couple of years ago and unless you are installing a big diesel in it I wouldn't worry about the strength of that frame under normal conditions. One three foot section of the middle of the frame rail weighs around 50 lbs and maybe more.

The main reason we box the front section of the pickup frames is for the independent front ends. Under 350 hp I don't think there is a real need to box the whole frame on the pickups. The guys with four wheel independent like to stiffen the frames up and take all of the flex out as the suspension handles the change in terrain rather than the frame taking some of it by flexing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Midgets50

im not really worried about weight, im doing a solid axle 4x4 swap under it. and eventually i might put a either a 4 or 6bt diesel in it. but i also think i need to strengthen it because i want to put bigger tires on it and similar stuff
Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
OrrieG

If you are going to use it for 4wd you do not want to make it too stiff. These riveted frames were designed to flex. I have had mine twisted off road like a pretzel, front twisted one way, rear the opposite, and it snaps back. If you start welding and boxing things will eventually break and cracking, usually next to the welds. An exception would be if you are doing straight line mud bogging or tractor pull stuff. Cruise over to the 4x4 thread there have been many discussions about this.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
dicer

If you study how big class 8 truck manufactures do it, they never "box" the frame, they double or triple up on the C section, inother words put a frame in a frame. Biggest problem I see with boxing, is a good place to rust and can't be painted too well, you then don't have access to holes for bolts etc. and all reasons the big boy truck builders likely don't do it.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
mechanixman

You'll be fine boxing just boxing the frame...as long as you do it well, and do it correctly.
If you want extra support, I guess you could put ribs or brackets in the frame, then box it.
Maybe this will help ya out.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Midgets50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
You'll be fine boxing just boxing the frame...as long as you do it well, and do it correctly.
If you want extra support, I guess you could put ribs or brackets in the frame, then box it.
Maybe this will help ya out.
The Larc / Sgt. Rock [S1 Ep.5-2] - YouTube
I saw this video the other day and its what got me thinking. could i just do what he did with the rec tube and call that good. If the front was as big tall as the the rear of the frame i would worry about it but its like 4 or 5 in tall right around the front of the motor and only 3 wide if i remember right its been a couple days since i was in the shop.