The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
srvivor71

Questions about bed restoration

I'm planning on having my bed sprayed with Linex. In it's younger days, the bed has seen some rough service and I want to replace the wheel tubs and the front panel before I get it sprayed. Are these all strictly bolt on or are there welds that will need to be dealt with too? I don't see any, but I'm worrying about hidden ones.

Any words of advice on the spray in liner will also be welcome.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Questions about bed restoration

Tubs should come off with just the bolts.

Re. liner: Lots of pros and cons on that. I'm not opposed to them if the bed is in bad shape and you're planning on doing a lot of hauling with it. But if it's decent I prefer just leaving it like it is and painting it or putting a protective rubber matt on it. I have seen what a crack in the liner can do when moisture gets in under the liner and unseen, creates rusted area. I have a friend that it happened to. He had it installed about 15 years ago, though.

Also, if you plan on ever selling it, a lot of people don't like them because they think your hiding something.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
jocko

i have to agree that a rubber liner usually scratches the itch of what some (not all) of those that choose a spray in liner seek. If the bed is all banged up, then you're not really protecting anything - you're just covering it up, and it looks kinda hideous-lipstick-ish-on-a-pig-ish. However, if you're going to the trouble to replace the front panel and tubs, then you clearly care how it looks. Personally, I'd do that, then get the non-bedfloor spots (i.e. sides, front, inner gate and tubs) squirted in the truck's color after minimal prep and throw in a thick rubber mat. A rubber mat deadens the clanking sound, keeps it "original" looking, and hides a banged up bed floor MUCH better than a spray-in liner. Cost might not be that different as a Line-X job isn't cheap either.

Having said all that - if your heart is set on a spray-in liner, my favorite brand is Line-X. They do a great job and I (personally) think it looks much better than a rhino liner or home job. In fact, I'd put most home jobs above a rhino liner. Again, that's just me. I have a rhino liner. It's extremely thick, which it's supposed to be, but it's also extremely faded (in a truck that has always had a cap on it, and with uv inhibitors mixed in the original spray).

Anyhoo. My 2 cents only. Glad you're taking the time to put in new tubs and front panel, I think you will not regret it. And it should all be bolt in. 68gmsee is spot on regarding the re-sale value. I might be picky, but I would not buy a 67-72 with a spray-in liner, for that reason alone. If you're gonna keep it, have a good reason to have a spray-in liner (work truck, etc), and aren't doing it in the hope of covering up a dented bed floor, then it's a great durable option.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
med.bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Tubs should come off with just the bolts.

Re. liner: Lots of pros and cons on that. I'm not opposed to them if the bed is in bad shape and you're planning on doing a lot of hauling with it. But if it's decent I prefer just leaving it like it is and painting it or putting a protective rubber matt on it. I have seen what a crack in the liner can do when moisture gets in under the liner and unseen, creates rusted area. I have a friend that it happened to. He had it installed about 15 years ago, though.

Also, if you plan on ever selling it, a lot of people don't like them because they think your hiding something.
X2
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 K-10 Custom Deluxe

1971 K-10 Custom
med.bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
MalibuVLX

I just did Raptor DIY spray in liner and I am very pleased. I have Herculined jeep tubs before and wish I could have sprayed it. TC Tools sells Raptor that comes with spray gun and 4 quarts of material and hardener. $120 to the door. A little prep and tape and it came out pretty nice in my opinion.
Attached Images

MalibuVLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
terry b

Are the metal floors in our 67-72 trucks single wall? If so how can spray in liner hide anything? You just look at the under side. With my gas tank in the cab i can see all of my bed floor and braces.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
srvivor71

Thanks for the feedback guys. My motivation wasn't exactly to cover up the bumpy floor but to preserve and protect it while making it look more presentable. I often use this truck as God intended it (to haul stuff and not just sit there looking pretty). I really like the idea of the rubber floor mat and then painting the walls and tubs the body color. I've Googled the hell out of rubber bed mats and it seems like they're only custom fitted for late model trucks. Is anyone here aware of a place that makes them for our trucks?
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
RManson

I lined mine when I assembled the bed wood so that it wouldn't need to be disassembled later when I painted the truck.

RManson is offline   Reply With Quote