The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
stock75

Couple specific questions for you guys.. 75' c10

Hey guys happy Easter! after the usual church and brunch this morning i got out of the suit n tie and started wrenching, got a fair amount done but ran into a couple specific questions, I searched but did not find the specific answers I am looking for.

1. Picked up a set of ram horn manifolds, when installing these will the y pipe need to be replaced or modified or will it be a semi close fit? Also is there an upgrade from the y pipe I could do while I am at it i know i have heard the term x pipe thrown around? As it sits now it has a new flowmaster 40 series on it with new 2 1/2 tubing from the y pipe back.

2. Transmission coolers, was thinking I would like to install a trans temp gauge, and that got me to wondering if there is any company that makes an after market better than stock transmission cooler, I am referring to the small rectangular one that is mounted on the radiator.. that is a transmission cooler correct??

3. Carb and intake selection: About ready to start adding horsepower to the engine, going to start with the carb/ intake, what would you guys suggest overall? Not too far down the road the truck will get a mild cam as well as worked heads, so it would be ideal to get a carb and intake now that wont flood my engine with fuel and air but still meet the demands of my build later on down the road, is this possible??

I think thats all for now.. keep your eyes open for a build thread I think the time has come..

Thanks

Ben
stock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Couple specific questions for you guys.. 75' c10

1) not sure haven't done that myself

2) continue using the tranny cooler in your radiator. It warms up your tranny fluid on cold days. Just install and auxilary cooler on the front of your radiator to keep the fluid temperatures down.

3) most people will say "performer intake and carb". I have a performer EPS intake and 600cfm performer carb. Ran well on my old worn 350 and works well on my new mildly cammed 350 as well. overall good setup.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

I will add to what he said.

The holley avenger desires paired with a performer rpm intake will compliment a good cam and head combo rather well

You just naught ram horn manifolds. Those are still ten steps behind a cheap header for power.

Otherwise you sound like your off to a good start
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
stock75

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
I will add to what he said.

The holley avenger desires paired with a performer rpm intake will compliment a good cam and head combo rather well

You just naught ram horn manifolds. Those are still ten steps behind a cheap header for power.

Otherwise you sound like your off to a good start
Posted via Mobile Device
I realize that power wise the ramhorns will lag compared to headers, but wth my current budget the ramhorns make more sense, im not looking for max hp, just a good running dd with a nice breathing low maintenance 350m those cheap headers will give me a good couple horespower, but not worth the headache in my honest opinion, would rather just wait til i can afford some doug thiorleys rather than deal with monthly leaking issues, im a man that aint my style.
stock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
INSIDIOUS '86

Sounds good
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote