The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
3rd Coast

Question 69 SWB frame/suspension help

Aight Guys,

Working in steps on this build and just bought a house so kinda threw a wrench in my plans, all in time though...

Here's where im at and need some advice/guidance any help be much appreciated!

Converting 6 lug to 5 and all the drums to disc 12in. in the front and 11's in the rear , 4 in. drop/rear 2.5 in the front. Going with a full set up from Classic Performance http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6366cbk-6.htm along with a few other suspension goodies, all new rubber (whole truck) keeping factory upper n lower control arms though. Eventually want a full set up from Air ride with EVERYTHING new but that's way down the road..
Name:  IMG_0323.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  36.3 KB

#1 entire frame/trailering arms/rear end need help with some mild rust... I've seen some products from Eastwood with degreaser and paint and stuff or the POR 15 or whatever looking to see if you guys have any other suggestions for the frame or control arms.
Name:  IMG_0326.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  40.3 KB

I believe with the modular brake system im ordering I gain I think 1 1/8 clearance in the front, with the 5 lug conversion axles in the back its stays stock width. Would like to go with at least 18's with a nice offset with a lip, what are the best tire/rim combination sizes without running into clearance problems with it being lowered?

#3 One of the photos shows spindle still attached to upper ball joint its as far as it will go with the separator and it still wont come OFF!!! I even banged on with a sledge but got worried I would bend the control arm so finally just took control arm off with spindle attached.
Name:  IMG_0359.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  70.2 KB

Shows the shims from the upper control arm doesn't look like they have ever been off but there is a bunch of them, prob get new ones but do I go with the same amount since im lowering it 2.5 inches?
Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  41.7 KB

Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to knock all this out.

Thanks!
3rd Coast

P.S. had this truck since I was 15 now 31 its been on and off the road through out but now want to get it done right..
Attached Images

3rd Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
buckskins4ever

Re: 69 SWB frame/suspension help

As far as the control arms and spacers used....you are going to need to put whats in there (or new ones) back in. Odds are it may have been aligned somewhat close. However, once you put your back on or cut coils, you are going to have to redo an alignment at desired lowered ride height. Otherwise your camber will be off and cause tire wear. If you bag it down the road, which will allow for much lower dropping, you will want to redo alignment yet again.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
buckskins4ever

Tire and wheel combo is purely opinions: running 18's I would recomment 18x8.5 fronts and 18x10 rears. tires depend on how much sidewall you like. with a nice set of Hankooks, I would do the Ventus with 245/50-18 front and 275/45-18 or 285/40-18 for the rears. You can get away with up to a 14mm offset in front and 20 mm offset in rear.
there is a ton of nice trucks on here running just about everything you can imagine for rims.
Good luck.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
3rd Coast

Thanks Buck! Anyfeed back for the repair?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
3rd Coast

*rust