The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Cables question...

I have a 67 c-10 that I am converting the gas pedal to the cable style. I ordered a stock cable from LMC however I also have a holley carb. The holley carb as a bracket for the kickdown cable which has the square cable holes. The factory cable I have has a round cable hold and doesnt fit into the square hole lol...

So what cables have you used to hook up to a cable operated pedal to a holley style carb with the square hole and a ball attachment? I went to Summit and looked up several cables and none seemed like they would work. Part numbers would be awesome.

Also I need to know what speedo cable you guys have used for a 700R4 to the stock speedo gauge.

Thanks in advance.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
JOJABOY

Re: Cables question...

May just have to fab a bracket and use those cables. Probably easiest thing to do.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Lee H

I just went through this a few months ago. I went from the Q-Jet to a Holley and was not able to find a cable bracket with the round hole, I ended up using a standard Holley bracket with a square hole and a throttle cable for a 1992 K1500, it's a little long but fits OK and still able to get full throttle. I'm watching this thread hoping someone has solved this so I can use the stock 72 cable.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I just went through this a few months ago. I went from the Q-Jet to a Holley and was not able to find a cable bracket with the round hole, I ended up using a standard Holley bracket with a square hole and a throttle cable for a 1992 K1500, it's a little long but fits OK and still able to get full throttle. I'm watching this thread hoping someone has solved this so I can use the stock 72 cable.
How much too long is the cable? I have a big block in the forward holes on the frame so longer may not be a bad thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
How much too long is the cable? I have a big block in the forward holes on the frame so longer may not be a bad thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Three or four inches, I just have a bigger loop by the fire wall.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I'm watching this thread hoping someone has solved this so I can use the stock 72 cable.
Been a bit, working on other thngs but this is what I came up with, making a write up in case somone else decides to go this route.

Factory cable from LMC

Using a Holley carb and bracket, it seems that the cable is alsmost set up backwards.

This end has the square connector that will fit into the holley bracket, but the end for the pedal

This end has the round hole. hard to get into a square hole on the bracket and would be more fitting on the firewall, especially if you have not yet drilled it for the pedal swap (keeps you from having to make a square hole in the firewall)

Using a screwdriver I seperated the bplack sleeve from the carb end

Cut off the end and remove cable...

Now we have this other sleeve that wont work well on the pedal side

Grommet just pulls off, get an idea of where the end of the grommet ends on the plastic tube before removing

With a handy dandy razor blade... cut it off... reinstall grommet. may have to do some trimming to get the plastic sleeve flush, I had to do this a couple times

New cable end via Lokar... 19.95 at summit

Reinstall cable with the end that still has a fitting towards the cable sleeve that has the round grommet. Put on new cable end.

Voila, stock cable

I am still in the middle of doing my pedal swap but we had to go to Summit last night to get this Lokar end and eat Mexican up the street. Will install in a bit when I get done with the pedal swap and it warms up a tad outside. If this works good I will probably swap the end on the 700r4 cable as well so they are uniform.