The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Gippetto

47 AD Rear Cab Mount

I hope I can get some insight on how and what to do to improve my existing rear cab mount. I understand GM went to a two trunion cab support in '49 because the single centered approach used in 47 & 48 was over stressing the cab sheetmetal where it is attached.
Does anyone have a picture of the original assembly viewed from inside the cab. In mine, the trunion is clearly visible because the sheet metal is torn off completely. There looks like there once was a box like assemby that enclosed it and kept the weather out. I am looking to re-enclose the trunion after I replace the bushings and beef up the attach point so it won't tear out in the future.
Anyone have pictures of a surviver that you can post.

Thanks for any help.
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
mknittle

Re: 47 AD Rear Cab Mount

Gm went from the center rear mount to a shackle set up. There is a rubber bushed shackle mounted parallel to the frame on each side The top mount bolts to the trunion
and the bottom to the frame. I think it would be pretty easy to adapt.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
2ndGenRR

I'm building a '48 and it had the center mount...easily converted it to side mounts with the proper cab supports and mounts that are available through all the vendors. My understanding is that the side mounts were instituted to give a softer ride as they allow the back of the cab to flex a little.

As I recall, the center mount was a single captive bolt and I had to cut the sheetmetal in the cab to reach the captive bolt that had come loose. I cut a flap and bent it up and then simply welded it back down.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
mr48chev

I think that the original concept behind the triangle mounting setup was so the cab would move a bit when the frame flexed when the truck went over rough terrain but most of our trucks never see anything rougher than a driveway entrance.

I've got a later cab on mine because the original cab got tweaked in a wreck and I could never get it back square. It has the side shackles and they were pretty easy to set up.

One of us can trace the pattern for the bolts with exact measurements if you need them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote