The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
kbar

my new truck and a question

Hi,
I am new to the classic truck world. I am currently overseas coming home soon and I happened to come across a good deal with this truck. I attached a few pic of it. It is a 1975 C-10. I have always wanted to own a C-10, now I have one. Of course we all have plans for a truck probably before we ever buy one and I do, and it is the usual, wheels & tires, exhaust, and drop.

But my main project. I love the sbc 350 because of it's versatility, but as the same time I will drive this truck when it is too cold or rainy for my motorcycle. I've heard some horror stories of carbureted engines not being very dependable and bad mpg. I have read a few post, magazine articles, etc of how to improve mpg.

Now to my main question I have a buddy who offered to sell me his 400 small block chevy out of a 2002 chevy truck that has a 4L80 transmission(4x4), all the wiring gauges, and whatever else that I would need for $1700, or do I take $1700 and put it into heads, cams, exhaust, etc? I would like to have around 12-14mpg with the most performance I can get out of it before sacrificing mpg.

Or what else would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
K-BAR
Attached Images

kbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Gigem

Re: my new truck and a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar View Post
Hi,
I've heard some horror stories of carbureted engines not being very dependable and bad mpg.
Who told you this? I vote for you to save your money... just get the 350 running right, you will be fine...
1972 Chevelle SS Convertible (gone)
1973 Chevy Corvette (gone)
1967 Chevy Camaro (STOLEN!)
Gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
kbar

Some articles I've read mostly online of course. The 350 runs with no problems according to the seller.

Nice truck btw Gigem. And glad to see a fellow Aggie. I am looking to move to the Houston area in about a year. I spend alot of time down there.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigem View Post
Who told you this? I vote for you to save your money... just get the 350 running right, you will be fine...
x2

Check into fixing what you have first, then once you know how much it will cost you can go from there.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
77ChevySharkBite

I have a 305 that's carbed to me as I do have a fuel injected car as well. Carbed is the way to go just because it's so simple and basic plus parts are cheap, and the 12-14mpg is achievable.

You have a clean truck btw!

Nice!!! Houston is pretty awesome if I say so myself, you know where in Houston you might want to live, being as Houston is pretty big.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
bohmankid

I'm different. I think the fuel injection is the way to go. They're so much more simple to me. But I'm a younger generation and grew up building the fuel injection stuff. You can expect to dump another $1700 into the swap if you decide to do it. In the end, it might not be worth the cash.

Keep the carb and build it. My 85 has a 2001 ls motor in it and the cold starts are great, but was it worth the 3 grand I put into it?...
But my 79 has a 350 with a Holly carb and I can start it up and run it within 30 seconds on cold days. You just have to have it tuned right. Carbs are very sensitive and need constant tuning. that's why I don't like them.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Rubble

I am from the carb generation as well,I have never had a 87 or newer GM truck.If that carb is kept in good tune,it will treat you ok.Like others said,fix what you have...As far as colder starts,our 80 C20 had carb rebuilt last year,started it sitting outside end of Dec -24 degC. Pumped 3 times,off she went!Not plugged in either..the guy that rebuilt it for me can do a rochester in his sleep too!! I like the simpler things too....
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
99monte

I vote for sticking with the carb,nothing wrong with a well tuned carb,used to be the only option and they were'nt all trouble,just reqired fine tuning.On another note,NICE truck!! Do yo know what size the tires on the truck are?They look a little small in those big wheelwells.I'm considering tires for my truck,maybe a 255/60R15 on factory rims,wish I knew what they'd look like before buying them.
99monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
kbar

Thanks everyone for the info and comments. I was somewhat leaning towards keeping the carb, but I wanted some input from ppl that had experience.

So with that said, any preformance mods you guys recommend to help with mpg?

[QUOTE=99monte;6003270]On another note,NICE truck!! Do yo know what size the tires on the truck are?QUOTE]

Thanks 99monte, and I have no idea what size tires they are. I plan on selling them as soon as I get home I know that lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
kbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
You have a clean truck btw!

Nice!!! Houston is pretty awesome if I say so myself, you know where in Houston you might want to live, being as Houston is pretty big.
Thanks man, I am unsure of where exactly, I am looking at South Houston area, like outside the loop. I am going to be opening up gun business(suppressors and ar15 lowers). So it all depends on where I can buy a house and build a shop out back.