The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
mr48chev

Re: 49 3100 ready to sandblast frame. a few questions.

Tearing a truck down to the bare frame or not all depends on what we want out of it and how we want it to look when it's done. It should be what you want and not what other's opinion is of what you should do. Since that is what you want go for it.

One piece of advice, clean all of that grease and oil off the frame before you take it to the sand blaster. Also take off any pieces that you don't intend to use so that you aren't paying to sandblast pieces that you don't intend to use.

Powder coated frames look great but and it's a big BUT, once you powder coat one you can't do any work on it without ruining the powdercoating. That is ok if you have all of the welding, fitting and grinding done and don't ever intend to make changes but for me who is always changing something it won't work.

The finish coat on the frame if you paint it is up to you. Por 15 and or their finish coat, industrial primer and paint or do the prime, sand, prime sand slick paint finish what ever spins your wheels.

On the king pins, if they feel real good they were probably replaced not long before the truck was parked and worse case scenario is that you will have to pull it back apart and replace the king pins later with your head up under the fender when you do it. It would be easier to do it now but maybe not a necessity to do it now.

On having someone else do the sheet metal repairs. I don't see what the problem with that is. We all know what we can do or can't do or don't want to do. Berating someone because he intends to farm work out is a problem however. I'd much rather see a really nice truck that the owner/builder had farmed out the tasks that he didn't feel up to rather than see one that a guy muddled through and did a half way job on because he thought he had to do it all himself.

Keep on with the progress reports, this is looking good.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote