The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
JOJABOY

Re: Calling all my old school friends

I ended up pulling the radiator this morning. Used some needle nose pliers and bent the fins back a little where the leak was then took the torch and solder and just patched it that way. It's holding water so far. Took the opportunity and cleaned up the thermostat housing and replace the top and bottom hoses while I was at it.

Couldn't sleep this morning so I went to the garage and just started pulling it apart. Now I'm back to thinking about the over flow. There's got to be something better than the catch can I have hanging there now. LOL
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
jocko

when I was much younger... the old car guy who could fix anything in our neighborhood told me to put a cup of corn meal and some pepper in my radiator to stop a leak. I'm not kidding. I did it, and it worked. However, I am also certain that it mucked things up for later. But it stopped leaking for now. That was ok with me because this old beater was a 57 chev, and it was a breeze to fix it the right way later - at 17, some things didn't get fixed until I could flip enough burgers to make it happen the right way and the interim fix worked like a champ.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
I ended up pulling the radiator this morning. Used some needle nose pliers and bent the fins back a little where the leak was then took the torch and solder and just patched it that way. It's holding water so far. Took the opportunity and cleaned up the thermostat housing and replace the top and bottom hoses while I was at it.

Couldn't sleep this morning so I went to the garage and just started pulling it apart. Now I'm back to thinking about the over flow. There's got to be something better than the catch can I have hanging there now. LOL
What you want, is something with a tube on top and bottom so that as the radiator pressure builds, it can overflow into the bottle, and then when it cools, flows back in to the radiator
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
That was exactly what I was going to recommend you do. I've done that to lots of old trucks, tractors, etc...

I used Bars Leaks in my SBC to "fix" a leaky soft plug. Wored great.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Tinsmith9

Sounds like you got it done Gunny. I wasn't gonna get into the soldering repair because I'm not real articulate splainin' things but you likely will get away with doing what you did until you can get a new one. Usually the hardest part of that kind of fix is getting the metal clean enough and then not overheating it while you solder it. Sometimes it'll cause other leaks in the area and you gotta chase them for awhile but if it's not leaking you might have got her done the first time.

Was visiting a fella I went through bootcamp with recently and saw a pic of me and it scared me, so I understand. Clint is the Man.
Dan
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsmith9 View Post
Sounds like you got it done Gunny. I wasn't gonna get into the soldering repair because I'm not real articulate splainin' things but you likely will get away with doing what you did until you can get a new one. Usually the hardest part of that kind of fix is getting the metal clean enough and then not overheating it while you solder it. Sometimes it'll cause other leaks in the area and you gotta chase them for awhile but if it's not leaking you might have got her done the first time.

Was visiting a fella I went through bootcamp with recently and saw a pic of me and it scared me, so I understand. Clint is the Man.
Dan
I torched it a little to burn of any gunk then cleaned it good with brake/parts cleaner. I think it will hold well enough till summer when I pull the motor and replace the tranny.

Wow...bootcamp was so long ago. Every time I see old photos I realize just what 20 years will do to a man. I was 20 when I joined and still not shaving. LOL

Mister-B....why do you say tube on top? I was thinking just a vented cap would work. Was looking at at a bottle from a 1st Gen S-10.
Name:  s10 bottle.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  30.3 KB
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
I torched it a little to burn of any gunk then cleaned it good with brake/parts cleaner. I think it will hold well enough till summer when I pull the motor and replace the tranny.

Wow...bootcamp was so long ago. Every time I see old photos I realize just what 20 years will do to a man. I was 20 when I joined and still not shaving. LOL

Mister-B....why do you say tube on top? I was thinking just a vented cap would work. Was looking at at a bottle from a 1st Gen S-10.
Attachment 1092214
I suppose if it's vented, and has the hose on the bottom, that should work just the same. Not sure, but I would imagine its doing more then just collecting runoff from the radiator? I assume fluid goes back and forth to and from the radiator to the bottle, and not just one way to the bottle?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
JOJABOY

Right. Radiator cap has valves/seals. One for coolant exiting due to over heating and the inner valve is the vacuum so when the engine cools it pulls the coolant back into the rad.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I'm man enough to admit I'm wrong if need be, but that sure seems peculiar. You're sure? Part of me hopes you're right, because I've got a leak I've been nursing along, and this would sure be an easy solution, but I'm just very hesitant
Posted via Mobile Device
Cross my heart and hope to die. i was building a rock buggy when i was working at avalanche engineering. it had a 5.7 LS1 crate engine. i had to do some whack and chop on the t-stat housing and one of those little pellets fell out. i was convinced some assbandit at the assembly plant was trying to make me have a bad day when i couldnt get the thing to run cool and i tossed it in the garbage. we were in the process of ordering another engine for a different buggy and asked the dude we bought from what he thought. he was curious and called GM and got the scoop for us. i can imagine what the radiator guys think of it, but in my experience, they are all quacks so they deserve a little trouble. again, i have run bars leak in my own vehicles that i do my own work on and i dont have any issues using it again.
Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
jd7

Just pull the radiator out and take it to a radiator shop the repair should be around $ 65.00 or so.
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
68corvair

You can get stop leak pellets at g.m. dealer. They recomend it for most of thier vehicles. Works great,causes no harm.

Ed
68corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #37
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
Cross my heart and hope to die. i was building a rock buggy when i was working at avalanche engineering. it had a 5.7 LS1 crate engine. i had to do some whack and chop on the t-stat housing and one of those little pellets fell out. i was convinced some assbandit at the assembly plant was trying to make me have a bad day when i couldnt get the thing to run cool and i tossed it in the garbage. we were in the process of ordering another engine for a different buggy and asked the dude we bought from what he thought. he was curious and called GM and got the scoop for us. i can imagine what the radiator guys think of it, but in my experience, they are all quacks so they deserve a little trouble. again, i have run bars leak in my own vehicles that i do my own work on and i dont have any issues using it again.
Ryan
Ok, well thanks. I suppose I stand corrected
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
flashed

If you were here in Ga I would fix you up cheap with a new radiator I have sitting in my shop in the box .It was for a Chevelle but I compared it to the one from my 72 truck and they are the same .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #39
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
If you were here in Ga I would fix you up cheap with a new radiator I have sitting in my shop in the box .It was for a Chevelle but I compared it to the one from my 72 truck and they are the same .
You don't know how bad I wish I was home. I grew up off Toonigh Rd in Holly Springs area. Need to get home to visit my folks. Don't think ol' red would make it there though. LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
flashed

We were in your old neighborhood yesterday on our way back home ,still a few old cars and trucks around there too .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
JOJABOY

I miss the leisurely drives on the back roads there. Nothing is leisurely about Southern California. Great weather though!