The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Ardee83

Options for an 83

Hello everyone, just became a member a few days ago, purchased an 83 SWB and love it, in fact so much I'm posting my first thred while seating in it in the garage!

I have a couple of questions would like your opinions, a guy is scrapping out an 85 it has PW, PL and A/C will these options work for my 83, or is I better to buy after market kits? Everyone's opinions and insights are greatly appreciated. Ryan
Posted via Mobile Device
Ardee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Options for an 83

The window and lock stuff should be fairly easy, depending upon one's definition of easy. The windows take an entire regulator swap, which requires drilling out a few rivets....and of course wrangling it in. Probably the hardest part would be the wiring and switches. The switches are mounted to the inner upholstery panels. You would need to swap them too....color could be an issue there.
In comparison, the locks are easier, but you would still have the switch issue.

Air Conditioning on the other hand is much more involved. There are a lot of parts to it, under the hood and the dash. The entire heater box and all of the ductwork has to be swapped under the dash and out on the firewall. Plus there is the condenser, evaporator, compressor, lines, and mounting brackets. It might take a pulley change too, I don't remember for sure? There is a control panel in the dash too.
If you really want to do this, I would try to get the whole cab from the guy intact. Trying to remove all of that stuff to let the cab go would make it a lot harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Ardee83

Thank you Longhair for your reply. If I had somewhere to store the cab that is a great idea! I am going to get all the auto locks and power window equipment and a few other items I need. The A/C sounds very involved I am not quiet ready for that project. I will share photos of the items I picked up when I go get them Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ardee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
andrewmp6

I would save up and buy it all new in kits,It will cost more but everything will be brand new and fit prefect.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Welcome to the site. I drive an 83 truck. Here is my take, install an aftermarket A/C unit. Under the dash is quicker and easier. The cab is small enough any good system will keep it ice cold. Check out Vintage Air from San Antonio. You can add serpentine accessories to optimize A/C cooling. Later model compressors work better. R134 requires a crossflow condensor and max air through it too.

I use a 90's serpentine belt and A/C system. Everything updated for R134 use.