The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Cliff

Unhappy Off subject, need 1988 VW halp asap

I appologize in advance fellas for posting this, but I am in serious need of help from any VW mechanics out there. haha. It is a 1988 Cabriolet that is a good friend of mine and the car won't start. It's fuel injected... which i know nothing about. I have narrowed the problem somewhat I believe. I have a solid spark to all 4 of the cylinders. I have a good battery. The car has gas. Starting sysyem is okay as well. The darn thing will turn over and over all day and cough like it wants to run but won't fully start. I'll admit i don't know much about the fuel injection, but I think it is not getting sufficient fuel to start the car. It did this hard start thing last week, and once running there are no problems, the car will run all day and easily re-start. I'm hoping fuel filter ? maybe ? anyone with any info on this car ? I have a chiltons manual that dose not seem to be much help at all. I posted on a VW forum but they haven't said much at all. Should I attempt the fuel filter ? it looks easy to get at, right behind the battery. I'm at school and my friend has to go home for thanksgiving. I wanted to know also if there is a way to "prime" a fuel injected car... like pouring a little gas into the carb on the old chev... If i could do this somehow and the car ran I could narrow it to the fuel system. I'm really trying ot help a friend out here and appreciate any info you all have. Thanks in advance. Cliff
Old 11-18-2003, 01:27 AM   #2
Cliff

Old 11-18-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

WD40 makes pretty darn good starting fluid. Spray quite a bit in while someone cranks on it. If it starts, you know your problem is fuel related.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:27 AM   #4
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Fuel pump. Probably located inside the gas tank. Should be an access panel in the trunk to get to it, so you don't have to drop the tank. You can test by disconnecting the fuel hose on the pump side of the fuel filter, turn the key on and see if it comes out. Should be pretty high pressure, so be careful. If the fuel filter is cheap and easy to get too, replace that and see if that solves the problem, it couldn't hurt. If not, then its a bad fuel pump.

Last edited by Cat Fuzz; 11-18-2003 at 02:30 AM.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:54 AM   #5
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Just a thought...
My friend had a similar prob on a '91 CRX. After I fooled around with it for a little while, I found out that it was the ignition switch!!! The switch would supply power to the ignition system while in the 'start' position, but wouldn't supply power when in the 'run' position. The car would fire as when starting, but would die as soon as you let go of the key.
I told her to take all those random keys and other funky crap she had on her key chain off because there was too much weight I don't know if the weight would be the source of the problem, it probably just wore out but I said it anyway.
It's just another idea to your friend's car problems... Good luck
Old 11-18-2003, 03:12 AM   #6
Cliff

re WD40 haha

can i give it a shot of wd40 near the air cleaner ? this fuel injected crap is for the birds, especially on this car. Makes me love my truck all the more. Thanks for the responses everyone. Any more always welcome. I'm gonna go at it again tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again.. Cliff
Old 11-18-2003, 03:40 AM   #7
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Well, I don't know how far the away the air cleaner is, but I would pull the filter off and stick the little red tube on your wd40 can right down into the air intake and let it rip pretty steady. Like a 5 second blast then half second shots every second to keep it going.

Good luck
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:01 AM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Try the cold start fuel injection circuit. The cold start injector location varies depending upon which type is on your engine...CIS, CIS1, CIS2 or Digifont. It sounds like everything else is fine as long as it is warm and running.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
rambler
MOVE OVER

I have a 89 cabriolet, they both have the CIS injection system, there are also 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank $$ and one outside even more $$$.... it could also be the fuel pump relay as well, those things also run very bad with any vacumn leak... it could also be the cold start valve, which is a seperate injector on the head. VWVORTEX.com is a good site with a forum,, and also dump the chilton on this,, I had bought both a Haynes and a Chilton,, you need to invest in the Bentley manual if you want to work on this yourself,, I've now gotten over 179,000 miles on mine.. you should look at a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure from the regulator,, and yes, replace the filter,, but I would assume now it may be the pump in the tank, or the cold start valve