The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
MisterC

Sending unit grounding point

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my interior all planned out and finished. In the attached picture, (Thanks Farmer66) the back of the cab has a detent where the the sending unit ground wire goes. I've seen this before, but mine doesn't have that. Which way is most common and why the difference?

Mine simply screws the back of the cab. The problem I have is that the screw pushes against the back of the center section of my buddy seats and I'm afraid it will eventually tear the fabric. I'm thinking I should just drill a hole in the sheet metal under the window and tuck it back in there.

Any opinions are welcome!
Attached Images

350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
WhippinSaw

Re: Sending unit grounding point

You could use a smaller wire and a smaller phillips screw with a low profile to attach it. My 63 just screws on the back cab below window like that with no indent like yours. With those nice seats it probably would be better to move it.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Maybe put a button over it w/RTV. One of the original cigar lighter delete buttons from the dash would match up the interior. Or some creatively crafted cover in matching upholstery, etc. A polished stainless buttin head allen screw has fewer sharp edges and might look good. Move it to the floor behind the tank?? Etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
luvbowties

Wink Re: Sending unit grounding point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
Hey all,

I'm trying to get my interior all planned out and finished. In the attached picture, (Thanks Farmer66) the back of the cab has a detent where the the sending unit ground wire goes. I've seen this before, but mine doesn't have that. Which way is most common and why the difference?

Mine simply screws the back of the cab. The problem I have is that the screw pushes against the back of the center section of my buddy seats and I'm afraid it will eventually tear the fabric. I'm thinking I should just drill a hole in the sheet metal under the window and tuck it back in there.

Any opinions are welcome!
Pls. forgive this hijack of thread...but those buddy seats are some more nice, really as pretty as I recall seeing.
BTW: I like the idea of an ultra-thin-headed screw, without washer. I've seen some place on out trucks that uses such screws, maybe on the door around glass-channel? Maybe holding rear-of-hood insulation?

Keep up the good work. I'd buy your finished product w/o worry re: pre-thought applied and finished quality of work!
Sam

*After further thought, obviously you do not mind a bit of time to reach that extra degree of perfection: won't take that long to loosen/lean tank forward to also move screw to a really out-of-way position.

Last edited by luvbowties; 04-16-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: *after thought
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
MisterC

Thanks for the ideas, all. FYI, those seats belong to 66farmer. I just used his picture to show the detent. Mine are black vinyl and houndstooth.
Posted via Mobile Device
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894

Last edited by MisterC; 04-17-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Got member name wrong.
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I was rootin thru the toolbox last evening and saw another idea...the wire boot off of the back of an alternator.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote