The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
of13swc

5 lug conversion

Who ever had my truck before me converted my truck to 5 lug. It looks like they had the factory axels drilled and tapped to 5 lug. But the drums look like crap. They took a torch and cut the holes larger. I would like to get new drums. So will a drum for a 71 work? Diameter of the drums are the same and the bolt pattern on the truck and the 71 drum are also the same. Am I missing something but this seems like it will work?.
of13swc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
MARTYZ

Re: 5 lug conversion

They will work, as long as diameter and shoe width are the same,
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
of13swc

Shoes are the same for both years and the drums off a 1971 match up, well except for the center hole. I was thinking about having the center hole on the drum made bigger at a local machine shop. Any reasons this would not work?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: 5 lug conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by of13swc View Post
Shoes are the same for both years and the drums off a 1971 match up, well except for the center hole. I was thinking about having the center hole on the drum made bigger at a local machine shop. Any reasons this would not work?
Your idea would work--keep SAFETY in mind--but it would limit your future options to doing the same if a drum needed replacement. Since it's so easy to remove rear axles, why not drain diff'l, remove C-clips, slide axles out, and have their center register turned to fit the new drum center?

You'll get new diff'l lube, check axle-bearing surfaces and seals, and have the job done more-nearly correctly--all in all, the next best thing to buying correctly-mfg'd NEW axles. **SHOULD YOU FIND BAD BEARING SURFACES, IT'S TIME TO BUY NEW AXLES WITH 5-LUG PATTERN AND CORRECT REGISTER MFG'D FOR THE CONVERSION.**

BTW: Based on the hack job done by prev. owner, I'd bet front hubs were re-drilled with drums hacked to "fit", also???--esp. if he put drums on the front instead of discs. If so, you'll need to have those hubs turned to fit the center of the new drums that you'll need to buy for the front. BE SURE TO CHECK THAT FRONT.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
of13swc

thank you. I plan on doing an axel conversion eventually. Have some other things I want to do first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Your idea would work--keep SAFETY in mind--but it would limit your future options to doing the same if a drum needed replacement. Since it's so easy to remove rear axles, why not drain diff'l, remove C-clips, slide axles out, and have their center register turned to fit the new drum center?

You'll get new diff'l lube, check axle-bearing surfaces and seals, and have the job done more-nearly correctly--all in all, the next best thing to buying correctly-mfg'd NEW axles. **SHOULD YOU FIND BAD BEARING SURFACES, IT'S TIME TO BUY NEW AXLES WITH 5-LUG PATTERN AND CORRECT REGISTER MFG'D FOR THE CONVERSION.**

BTW: Based on the hack job done by prev. owner, I'd bet front hubs were re-drilled with drums hacked to "fit", also???--esp. if he put drums on the front instead of discs. If so, you'll need to have those hubs turned to fit the center of the new drums that you'll need to buy for the front. BE SURE TO CHECK THAT FRONT.
Sam
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by of13swc View Post
Who ever had my truck before me converted my truck to 5 lug. It looks like they had the factory axels drilled and tapped to 5 lug. But the drums look like crap. They took a torch and cut the holes larger. I would like to get new drums. So will a drum for a 71 work? Diameter of the drums are the same and the bolt pattern on the truck and the 71 drum are also the same. Am I missing something but this seems like it will work?.

WHEN THEY DRILLED THE HOLES FOR THE 5 LUG THEY SHOULD HAVE MACHINED THE AXLE END DOWN TO THE PROPER DIAMETER....

LIKE THIS:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...Rfcq&lb=1&s=X2
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
luvbowties

Wink Re: 5 lug conversion

Nice looking job on the axles, Kieth! [I've even seem some done w/out fill-welding 5 of the orig holes...ughhh!]
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote