The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Troubleshooting the new (to me) truck...

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1968 CST LWB with a 327, factory air, TH400, Posi, and other goodies. The body's a little rough, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm having some ignition and/or fuel troubles, though that are driving me wild.

Here are the symptoms:

- Runs best when cold (choke on), but a little miss can be heard. The miss gets worse when warm.
- When warm, she "stumbles" a little off the line. In other words, the truck hesitates and cuts out for a second or two when throttle is applied from a dead stop.
- On occasion, the truck is hard to start (almost like it's flooded) when allowed to warm-up then shut off for 5-10 minutes. When it does start, a cloud of grayish smoke comes out the exhaust.
- Good oil pressure except at hot idle when it drops to nearly zero and a slight knock can be heard from the bottom-end.
- Starting today, the truck is throwing an all-out hissy fit. Now it's backfiring pretty regularly through the carb when under a load and I'm hearing a "ticking" noise that varies with engine speed and sounds like it's coming from the distributor. If I put it in drive, take my foot off the gas, then tap the throttle it will backfire once through the carb then rev up relatively smooth.

These problems have been getting progressively worse as I've been driving the truck. What started as a little miss has manifested itself into a truck that doesn't like to run. The engine was supposedly rebuilt a few years back by a competent mechanic, but I'm treating it like a completely "unknown condition" engine. Here's what I've done so far:

- Replaced cap, points (yes, I know... HEI is on the way), condenser, plugs, and wires. BTW, the plugs looked okay, but were carbon fouled.
- Confirmed the timing at 8-degrees.
- Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve.
- Visually inspected for obvious vaccum leaks.
- Verified that the power valve (or whatever that damn thing is called on a Quad) wasn't stuck.
- Verified that the secondaries were closed all the way.
- Literally drowned the carb with B-12. Once while running and again while shut off (and left to sit overnight).
- Confirmed that the distributor looks okay. The base plate can be moved, the rotor doesn't turn backwards, nothing is cracked/missing/loose, the springs are on.
- Confirmed that the vaccum choke pulloff is working as it should.

Note that the engine doesn't ping (detonation) or smoke (other than described above).

My thinking is one or more of the following:

So, does anybody have any ideas what I might be looking at? Stuck valve? Broken spring? Flat cam? Possessed carb?
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
DavidM

hmmm

Sounds like the possessed carb.....
Just my 2 cents....

Proud Owner of
A 67 C10
Shortfleet 350/350/3.73
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #3
shuttermutt

That's what I'm leaning towards, too. The truck did sit for at least a few months (reports vary from 1-3 years) before I got it. Plus, I have no idea what the yahoos did to get it running (bought the truck at auction - used to be a well-respected mechanic's daily driver until he passed away). Guess it's time to start carb shopping.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:48 AM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally posted by shuttermutt
Guess it's time to start carb shopping
Get your current carb rebuild or just buy a new one, I also believe that might be the reason to your truck not wanting to go.

BTW, Welcome to the board from PA, got any pics of your truck?
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:50 AM   #5
cdowns

i'd change the oil and filter and add a quart of marvel-mystery-oil and runn it for awhile to clean out the engine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
cableguy0

sounds to me like your backfiring isnt ignition related but actually a lean pop due to the carb either being fubarred or wayyyyy out of adjustment. im gonna lean towards carb needing a new home in the trash
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 05:49 AM   #7
Blue Beard

try some carb cleaner..........and maybe fuel system cleaner..........

if it sat with old fuel...........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:14 AM   #8
EGLIDERIDER

'Mutt
<Guess it's time to start carb shopping>

I wouldn't jump off of that cliff just yet. Q-jets are pretty easy to rebuild, at least if memory serves (and that's a BIG if these days). I've had a number of them over the years and used to rebuild them occasionally.......25+ years ago. Have you checked into availability of a rebuild kit?

However, if your set on a replacement there are several on E-bay. Here are links to a couple of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2439556638

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2439952116

Mike

Last edited by EGLIDERIDER; 11-02-2003 at 07:17 AM.
EGLIDERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
hanssolo

Hesitation off idle sounds like not enuff accelerator pump shot. Also on old carbs, the bodies tend to warp and you can see it by running a straight edge across the throttle body. Even with a new gasket there can be a slight vacuum leak. A flat file will smooth it out easily.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
71GMC_3/4T
Weapons Of Construction

My truck backfired a while back. I didn't know it at the time, but a vacuum cap had blown off when it backfired.
It would idle okay, but there was a distinct miss on acceleration. The vac cap was on the #8 intake runner. I was checking plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor, carb and all kinds of stuff when I stumbled upon the missing cap which was not in an obvious place. Fixed her right up!
Use a can of carb spray to look for vacuum leaks if everything looks to be in place.
I also agree that it could be your accelerator pump.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
shuttermutt

A quick update...

I did a visual inspection for vacuum leaks. The PCV valve was about 1/2 way in, but that was it. I also did a carb cleaner check for leaks and came up empty. I also snuck out last night to see if I had a "light show" under the hood. It was pitch black. Finally, I pulled the vacuum advance line while idling. The engine slowed down and stumbled. The line pulled good vacuum.

Normally she runs better when cold, but not this time. The truck had been sitting for over 12 hours and the miss was immediately apparent first thing. Bummer.

I'm probably gonna do a two-fer swap. I've got a line on a good carb and HEI unit. Meanwhile the truck will have to sit in the corner and think about what it's done. Bad truck! BAD TRUCK!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

yours sounds like my 72 C-10.....same symptoms. Mines definitely the accelerator pump (long story short, don't take shortcuts when rebuilding carbs.......lesson learned)

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:25 AM   #13
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Did the truck sit for an extended period of time? How old is the gas in the tank? Just a thought..
Old 11-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #14
shuttermutt

I've driven several tanks of gas through it. What started as a little miss has progressively turned into this problem.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:34 AM   #15
adaminvegas

vacuum leak at the brake booster if you have power brakes can cause all sorts of problems.
adaminvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:42 AM   #16
adaminvegas

oh yeah watch your heat riser 2could cause some problems also
Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #17
mrein3

Re: Troubleshooting the new (to me) truck...

Quote:
Originally posted by shuttermutt

- Runs best when cold (choke on), but a little miss can be heard. The miss gets worse when warm.
- When warm, she "stumbles" a little off the line. In other words, the truck hesitates and cuts out for a second or two when throttle is applied from a dead stop.
- On occasion, the truck is hard to start (almost like it's flooded) when allowed to warm-up then shut off for 5-10 minutes. When it does start, a cloud of grayish smoke comes out the exhaust.
- Good oil pressure except at hot idle when it drops to nearly zero and a slight knock can be heard from the bottom-end.
- Starting today, the truck is throwing an all-out hissy fit. Now it's backfiring pretty regularly through the carb when under a load and I'm hearing a "ticking" noise that varies with engine speed and sounds like it's coming from the distributor. If I put it in drive, take my foot off the gas, then tap the throttle it will backfire once through the carb then rev up relatively smooth.

These problems have been getting progressively worse as I've been driving the truck. What started as a little miss has manifested itself into a truck that doesn't like to run. The engine was supposedly rebuilt a few years back by a competent mechanic, but I'm treating it like a completely "unknown condition" engine. Here's what I've done so far:

- Replaced cap, points (yes, I know... HEI is on the way), condenser, plugs, and wires. BTW, the plugs looked okay, but were carbon fouled.
- Confirmed the timing at 8-degrees.
- Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve.
- Visually inspected for obvious vaccum leaks.
- Verified that the power valve (or whatever that damn thing is called on a Quad) wasn't stuck.
- Verified that the secondaries were closed all the way.
- Literally drowned the carb with B-12. Once while running and again while shut off (and left to sit overnight).
- Confirmed that the distributor looks okay. The base plate can be moved, the rotor doesn't turn backwards, nothing is cracked/missing/loose, the springs are on.
- Confirmed that the vaccum choke pulloff is working as it should.

Note that the engine doesn't ping (detonation) or smoke (other than described above).

My thinking is one or more of the following:

So, does anybody have any ideas what I might be looking at? Stuck valve? Broken spring? Flat cam? Possessed carb?
The last time I had backfires under load and a nice loud tick it took a cam to fix it.

The first time, about 10 years ago, it took a valve job to fix it.

Do a compression test. At least test the side with the noise. If you have compression pull the valve cover with the noise under it. I started mine with the valve cover off. It was obvious what lobe on the cam was almost flat. That rocker arm hardly moved and ticked like crazy.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #18
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Like mrein3 said"do a compression check" You may have a bad head gasket or worse a cracked head from setting(improper antifreeze)and white smoke is a sign of water.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:04 PM   #19
adaminvegas

smoke=black ritch fule blue oil white coolant
step1 verify problem
step2 atempt to duplicate
step3 check tsb or recal(known concerns)
step4 locate diag.info
step5isolate root cause
step6 fix or repair per diagnosis
step7 verify repair
step8 back to step 2
step9 bye bye
Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 PM   #20
8.1PWR

If the the truck has a lot of miles on it you may want to check the play in the timing chain and gears. If they have not be replaced or the engine rebuilt there could be enough wear that it could be throwing your timing off. Just my 2 cents.
1970 Chev C20, 2wd, LB, 350 4BBL, muncie 4spd, 4:10 limited slip.
2002 Chev 2500HD 8.1L Allison, 4X4.
1996 Chev S10 Blazer, 4X4.
2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
8.1PWR is offline   Reply With Quote