The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
juker17

57 Chevy 235 timing

Just got a 57 chevy with a 235 c.i. six cylinder. Trying to figure out how to check the timing on this. Ive read a few old threads and still have some questions. First thing Ive noticed is that I can grab my distributor cap and move it, about an inch or so, it is spring loaded and will return to its original position. It is hooked up to the vacuum advance assembly, I can see it moving as I twist the distributor cap. Should I be able to move this by hand? Shouldnt it be clamped down in a certain position? The other question I have is concerning the octane selector. I have the knob near the bottom of the distributor cap, but I dont see the guage as shown in the service manual. The one that has a 0 setting on it and an A for advance and R for retard. Its missing. Will I need it? Isnt the octane rating for gas back in 57 so much different than todays gas that it wont matter? Thanks for any help. Jim
juker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 57 Chevy 235 timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by juker17 View Post
Just got a 57 chevy with a 235 c.i. six cylinder. Trying to figure out how to check the timing on this. Ive read a few old threads and still have some questions. First thing Ive noticed is that I can grab my distributor cap and move it, about an inch or so, it is spring loaded and will return to its original position. It is hooked up to the vacuum advance assembly, I can see it moving as I twist the distributor cap. Should I be able to move this by hand? Shouldn't it be clamped down in a certain position? The other question I have is concerning the octane selector. I have the knob near the bottom of the distributor cap, but I dont see the guage as shown in the service manual. The one that has a 0 setting on it and an A for advance and R for retard. Its missing. Will I need it? Isnt the octane rating for gas back in 57 so much different than todays gas that it wont matter? Thanks for any help. Jim

Yes its normal to be able to twist the cap/distributor. the advance unit moves the entire distributor on the 235. The knob you see is a grease cup to grease the dist shaft. The octane selector is down under the dist toward the rear of the distributor on the block. its a tab and it has a bolt locking it to the block. The octane selector is what keeps the distributor from spinning all the way around so it has to be there somewhere.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote