The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
chvtrkman

Unhappy Windshield removal

Alright,I'm getting ready to remove the windshield and rear glass from my donor cab...never did anything like this before,and don't want to break the glass if I can help it as it's in good condition.I already did a search to check other threads on this topic and found mostly tips on install...also read a few posts that state removal is relatively easy.One of particular interest was posted by LockDoc on 9/14/2006.He used a 55" piece of garden hose on top inside of cab,between the rubber and the flange,and two 18" sections of 1/2" electric cord (one on each side) in a similar manner.Then he placed his hands near the top of the windshield a little bit in from the outer most edges and pushed,and the windshield popped right out.
My question is,could it be THAT easy?...Things don't usually go that well for me.Also,do I not need to cut the rubber trim on the exterior to use this method?
...I prefer to not bang my head against the wall in frustration after an hour of no success,only to find out that I missed some crucial step in this process (which usually ends up being the case when I attempt something I don't know beans about) so anyone who cares to offer a few words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
westong

Re: Windshield removal

Are you wanting to reuse the rubber?... If not I did this same removal acouple weeks ago it took about 20 mins... It did take two people.. If you have the chrome trim first remove that. I took a utility knife and ran the blade around the outside edge of the glass angled toward the cab sheet metal. I wasn't using the cab so I wasn't worried about scratching it. You then grap the rubber you just cut. I did this in a few sections, with the outer rubber removed you can see the whole face of the windshield. I then started in the upper corner of the glass and pushed from the inside. It came out of the seal rather easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Sammy

Herte is the video on you tube

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
chvtrkman

Thanks guys,that is a big help..
westong: no,I won't be reusing the rubber so that is not an issue..I wasn't sure if I would damage the windshield working from outside the cab. Like I mentioned,I don't have an immediate use for the windshield,but want to keep it for future use "just in case".

Sammy:thanks for posting the video...one question i forgot was if I needed any special tools.the guys in the video made it look like something I can tackle.I'll get my son to give me a hand with it.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Sammy

Since you are not reusing the rubber cut the rubber inside n out on the lip all the way around with a tile knife or box cutter. That is what I do. Then carefully use the rope to unseal like they show you in the video using n your son. Every one I have removed the rubber seals are so darn hard could never reuse em anyway.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
chvtrkman

Update: Got it done today...It wasn't as bad a job as I had imagined.Cut rubber all the way around both inside and outside (yes,that 40+ yr old rubber was hard to cut).When my son got home from work I had him ready to grab the top from the outside while I gave a gentile push from inside,and it came out real easy without breaking it.Now I have a spare if something ever happens to the one in the daily driver.Thanks again for the help.
99 Silverado 1500 Z71