The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Cleco's

WHo uses Cleco's and what for? What size, and were to to get them. I heard not to buy cheap ones as they do not hold good.

Anybody know anything?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Cleco's

Well I used a lot of them when I worked at Boeing in 1966 bucking rivets on 727 (remember those) window panels in the Renton plant.

I don't think the "good" ones are all that expensive. If you live close to an aircraft surplus store you could probably buy them by the pound.

The ones from Aircraft Spruce are only around 50 cents each http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...heetholder.php

I have been intending to buy a batch with the pliers off Ebay but haven't yet. I'll need them pretty soon though.

One note though, you have to have overlapping sheet metal to use them. They don't work for butt welding unless you are overlapping the metal and holding it with the Clecos and then cutting the two layers with a cut off wheel so you can butt weld them a few inches at a time. That is what I intend to do on the roof of my cab when I stretch the cab. I've watched one of my buddies do it with sheet metal screws when he welded two panels together. Overlap it and get it lined up and then cut a few inches and trim the scrap away and spot weld the butt weld and then repeat the process.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
parkwood

Just a few pictures to show how you can use cleco's... holding the cover for the fire wall and the transmission cover..
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
parkwood

just another group of pictures show their use... flooring and trans cover again. forgot to tell you i use the 1/8" ones
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Chevette

I use them quite often. Right now I'm using them to temporarily hold my floor panels in place. There are a few different sizes. I'm using mostly 1/8" and 3/16".
I bought a bag of 50 on eBay. I don't remember what they cost, but it was cheap. They also make edge clamp Cleco's. You will also need the Cleco plier to install and remove them.
Attached Images

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
I use them quite often. Right now I'm using them to temporarily hold my floor panels in place. There are a few different sizes. I'm using mostly 1/8" and 3/16".
I bought a bag of 50 on eBay. I don't remember what they cost, but it was cheap. They also make edge clamp Cleco's. You will also need the Cleco plier to install and remove them.
Holy floor panel Batman that looks nice!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote