The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Vandy5

Aux fuel tank opinions

Just like the title says my Highlander has an aux fuel tank. I dropped it the other night to check the tanks condition before i started using it. And it all checked out very clean on the inside holds a full tank with no leaks.

My debate now is if I really want to put it back on. It was held by two bolts hanging from the bed, I'm not sure if I like how it all holds just off the bed floor. Also my tank does not have the sender on it so I would have to run of the aux tank then switch to main once its empty to be able to rely on it or add a sender unit to the tank. And final how it hangs below the bottom of the bed for appearance.

Im asking for your guys opinion. Lets hear it who has removed them and regretted it or who has left them and loves them. Thanks for the input and help!!
Vandy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Aux fuel tank opinions

They have been used very successfully for many years. Most aftermarket tanks are not as refined as the factory aux tank installation but still very workable. Not having a sender is not a big deal just a fuel management task.
If you don't like how it "looks" then there is not much that can be done. Probably your biggest problem keeping it is if you will drive it enough to keep the fuel fresh. With todays fuels longterm stabilility is much more of an issue than it was. If it is clean and works I'd use it. Like you said it just needs to be run down first then switch over to the main tank just like in the day. The drill was to run down the aux tanks and plan you next fuel stop on the gauged tank. On the heavily loaded trucks with a full size campers and single digit mileage it worked and well.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy5 View Post
Just like the title says my Highlander has an aux fuel tank. I dropped it the other night to check the tanks condition before i started using it. And it all checked out very clean on the inside holds a full tank with no leaks.

My debate now is if I really want to put it back on. It was held by two bolts hanging from the bed, I'm not sure if I like how it all holds just off the bed floor. Also my tank does not have the sender on it so I would have to run of the aux tank then switch to main once its empty to be able to rely on it or add a sender unit to the tank. And final how it hangs below the bottom of the bed for appearance.

Im asking for your guys opinion. Lets hear it who has removed them and regretted it or who has left them and loves them. Thanks for the input and help!!
I left mine on and love it!

I bought a generic sender and gauge from JC Whitney and mounted it knee-knocker style under the ignition switch. Prior to that it was run it until the truck started bucking, open the door to gain access to the switch (a real treat in 70mph traffic), switch over, and continue on with the seat tank.

Now I can actually plan ahead because I know how much gas is in there.

I don't think the aux tank looks bad hanging down a little bit but I have a 4wd. I'm sure the gravel scrapers out there will disagree with me on that point.

I did paint it when I had it out to have a leak repaired about 10 years ago. If I remember correctly I POR-15'ed the outside and covered that with rattle can gray top coat.

I especially like the fact that in my long, salty winters here in MN I can fill up both tanks before the salt comes in November and make it until now when it is again safe to drive on the roads to the filling station. I usually have enough fuel to keep the driveway plowed and drive it out to the fish house.

I found a picture of my gauge. Trans temp on the left, aux fuel on the right.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My aftermarket tanks have a spot for senders. stewart warner make the sender just have to rig a switch to where you can switch the gauge from one tank to the other

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Vandy5

The look of it being low doesn't bother me to much. And I wont be lowering it to much more than it is now so scraping wont be an issue. I think with having the fuel door there and the tank being in good quality I am going to use it. I just needed a nudge to do it. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
SS Tim

Thr factory aux tanks used a switch to select senders between tanks for the single dash gauge. The GM accessory tanks were also offered with this. So setting up a switch/circuit would be easy however you do need to have the correct GM specific sender signal values which are not what the generic aftermakets have.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Vandy5

oh ok good to know. I would mind looking into setting it up with the sender to so i could gauge both. I would need to drill the tank mine isnt set up for a sender at all.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
SS Tim

Wade through this and you will find all sorts of tidbits.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560607
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Vandy5

Perfect thanks a bunch!!