The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
danheit

Need some fast advice on a frame

So I have a deal worked out to swap a 1990 GMC shortbed frame I have sitting in my garage for a 71 C10 shortbed frame that the junk man has at his yard. It is bare rolling frame for bare rolling frame. My big concern is that the 71 frame has clearly hit something in the front which has dented/deformed the front crossmember. This, in turn has twisted the front right frame horn counter clock wise a small amount (only noticeable if you are looking for it straight down from the top, which I was) when looking at it from the front. This is a 6cyl frame btw. My big question is, should I still swap him, or look for a better one, which I may not find. I am looking to build this frame to swap everything over from my long bed, but I DO NOT want to do frame work. Need some advice. Basically, do you guys think that it is a big deal that the front horn is twisted in front of the front crossmember? Everything else APPEARS straight to the naked eye.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Need some fast advice on a frame

I would take it to a frame and have it checked and straightened. If you most likely won't find another one, and you are not using the one you have that is what I would do.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
danheit

Yeah, but there aren't any good frame shops within several hundred miles of me, so there's hundreds more in fuel/shipping costs alone just to get it there, on top of having it straightened..... That's what I was trying to avoid. I know it's hard to say one way or the other without seeing it, but I would say its twisted about 10-15 degrees

Also forgot to add that he has another shortbed frame out there, but it will be MONTHS for him to get around to stripping it down (still has a rusty cab on it) and I really don't wanna wait that long.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
SS Tim

Fix the frame or offer to strip the truck with or for him to get that frame. The full frame alignment dimensions are in the overhaul manual. If it is minor you could fix the frame yourself.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote