The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Hawssie

Hood hinge diagnosis

I have seen this before a few times and I have it now on 69 I am working on. Anyways the issue is with one of the hood hinges. When I close the hood the back of the hood on the pass side sticks up after the hood is shut. If you push on the back end of the hood behind the hinge it will shift back a little sit back down. Then maybe pop back up a bit. Is this from a worn out hinge spring? Whats the best way to fix it.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Re: Hood hinge diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawssie View Post
I have seen this before a few times and I have it now on 69 I am working on. Anyways the issue is with one of the hood hinges. When I close the hood the back of the hood on the pass side sticks up after the hood is shut. If you push on the back end of the hood behind the hinge it will shift back a little sit back down. Then maybe pop back up a bit. Is this from a worn out hinge spring? Whats the best way to fix it.
I suppose it could be, but might also be that some of the bolts that hold the hinge on came loose. Did you check them to see if they are tight?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
buckskins4ever

double check bolts.......to lower rear hood corner, you lower back of hinge and raise front of hinge.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Square_78

Mine does the same thing on the drivers side. Have to push it down. All the bolts seem tight. I might just switch to porterbuilt hinges anyways
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Sammy

Slop in the rivets. I have a beautiful set powder coated that does the same thing. You can send them off for repair. There is a company that will put over sized rivets in it. Or replace them. Get someone to move the hood up and down while you closely observe where the rivets are and you will confirm the bad rivets before you decide your next step.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
midniteblues

if your hinges are not overly worn sometimes you can loosen the rear most bolts on the hinge too fender and push the front of the hood up kinda like opening it more than it should go .it should slide the rear of the hinge down. becarefull closeing the hood after doing this as it can bring the rear of the hood closer too the cowl and contact could be made between the two. if there is further adjustment of the hinge to hood bolts are needed.

I have used a shop press and some blocks and slugs too squish the rivits in hood hinges to tighten them up some i done this on camaro hinges an it worked great.but i gotta say the hinges were really worn they were just loose.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts (only slightly) and have someone push up on the front of the hood while you tighten the bolts. This rotates the hinges back, raising the front of the hinge and lowering the rear. This will lower the hood in the back. Like midnightblues said, sometimes you can leave the front bolts snugged up and just loosen the rear two and get enough adjustment that way.

If the hinges are worn it generally won't change how high the hood sits by more than a fraction of an inch, unless they are about ready to fall apart. I have never seen a vehicle with this style hinge that you couldn't put the hood lower than the fenders if you wanted to. There is a lot of adjustment with these hinges. That is one of the things that makes it easy to align the panels.

If you put new rubber bumpers on the inside lip of the fenders where the hood closes, some of the replacement bumpers are a lot thicker than the originals and will hold the hood up, so check that also....

Also, like midnightblues said, you need to be very careful when you close the hood after doing this in case you moved it too much or the hinges did not move evenly, side to side.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
turp mcspray

If you run out of adjustment, and it is still high, add a shim or two between the hood and hinge, at the forward bolt. This will force the hinge to go down.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Hawssie

Thanks for the help. I don't believe my hinges are worn out in a real bad way. Im sure its the rivets. I will try the adjustment now that I know its a viable fix. If not will then try the rivet fix. I thought about the porter built they look like a nice product, I bet its night and day compared to the old creaky stock style, but since I don't have clearance issues also, it seems like I could spent the money better elsewhere. You guys are great I knew it would worth asking before I waste a bunch of time trying to figure out the issue with getting a heads up first!
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote