The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Franks 72

Stock springs-72 Suburban K1500 4x4

Any advice on where to purchase springs? My springs have worn into each other and I am looking for front and rear springs (non lift ,just stock). Trailer towing is in the future so perhaps the rear could be a little heavier than stock.Trying not to end up with a kidney buster! Looks like a lot of suppliers offer springs with lift but I dont see stock ones offered.
Thanks for your help!
Franks 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Stock springs-72 Suburban K1500 4x4

Most of what is out there has a lift of some kind.
The OE fronts were a negative arch if I remember correctly, and I haven't seen anyone reproduce those personally. Though I am sure you could have a set made at a spring shop.
I had mine re worked and leafs added at a truck spring shop, they mainly worked on big rigs but did car/trucks on the side. Someday I want to go with all new springs, and when I do I will go with a 2" lift variety and not think twice about it.

There are vendors that make a 2" lift spring set up, and they are not all that bad as far as stiffness goes. Since the Suburban is such a big truck, it will ride quite nice. In another truck I had it had 2.5" springs with Bilstein 5100's shocks, it rode pretty stiff but it was a short bed pick up.

I think if you when with a name brand 2" lift spring set, and then went with a Rancho Suspension shock absorber you will be pleased with the ride.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Franks 72

Thanks for the speedy responce ! I know nothing of lift . If I go to a 2 1/2" lift springs , what else needs to change? Any steering component changes?
Rear shackles stay stock?
Would handling be affected ,perhaps in a good way ?
Thanks again!
Franks 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Handling and ride quality will be drastically improved, and there are a few things to look out for when you do the suspension upgrade.

In my case all I had to do was replace all of the rubber brake lines, which needed to be replaced anyways so they were replaced with new longer ones.

Steering should be verified that it is working properly.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote