The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
MRcamaro

New Member and "new" truck

Hey guys, was gonna make this just an intro but I figured why waste time so I'll just make this an intro and build thread. From Vegas love all nice cars and trucks but have owned mostly all Chevy's, an 06 vette, 92 camaro, currently own a 68 Camaro and just picked up the 69 C10 step and got rid of my Ford superduty. I have been lurking on this forum for a bit and had my eye on one of these trucks for a while now and just picked one up, a 69 stepside that's going under the wrench starting tomorrow. Decent body, needs rockers, floor pan, amd a few other cab spots. Hard time trying to figure out what color I will want it but know I want the doors shaved, drip panel shaved, 20-22" black wheels, and throw in a 5.3 maybe with a CPU. Doing a frame off and getting it all blasted then metal work then wondering if j should just paint the frame or powdercoat unless it's too expensive to powdercoat, if so may just go with this stuff I saw that you can brush on, think it's from a company called JDM or something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by ETsC10; 04-27-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Rotated pic
MRcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
MRcamaro

Re: New Member and "new" truck

Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Dropped it off at a friends shop and tearing into it tomorrow.
Plans so far: frame off, sandblast, shaved doors, shaved drip panels, 20-22" black wheels, move the tank to the rear of the frame, drop a 5.3 with CPU in it. Totally undecided on the color. Wanted Satin black at first but see how nice color is on these trucks, maybe two tine satin black with gloss stripe or two tone, orange with black 2 tone or striped, orange and red same, black/red.... And on and on and on...
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by ETsC10; 04-27-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Rotated pic
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
72restorationvirgin

Nice tuck!!! Looks like a great starter project!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
GOPAPA

Welcome ,,Good Lookin Truck ,,lots of different ways you can go with it.. Take it out towards Pahrump and light em up for me will ya ..lol I almost moved there last year and thought that would be a highway one could really get in it with no one around to get in the road.. Like to also see a pic of the Camero as I am a Chevy man at heart also..
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
MRcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72restorationvirgin View Post
Nice tuck!!! Looks like a great starter project!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks... I think I did well. Body seems very solid despite the few usual rust spots on the rockers, floor pans, and...... well that seems to be it. $1700 and I'm pretty sure it's a real short bed, didn't have the glove box sticker to check but didn't see any welds on the frame and has the 2 crossmembers in the rear, but either way I am good with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Welcome ,,Good Lookin Truck ,,lots of different ways you can go with it.. Take it out towards Pahrump and light em up for me will ya ..lol I almost moved there last year and thought that would be a highway one could really get in it with no one around to get in the road.. Like to also see a pic of the Camero as I am a Chevy man at heart also..
That is a nice strip of road, also used to love driving to work north on 95. Was about a 45 minute drive but only a 20 minute or so one in the Vette.

(Looks a lot better than it really is... needs some panels/patches under that nice paint.
Name:  456154_10151007724091830_1897767381_o.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  42.8 KB
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
MRcamaro

Anyone know how to rotate these pictures?

^^^Done ET ^^^

Last edited by ETsC10; 04-27-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRcamaro View Post
Anyone know how to rotate these pictures?
You can open the pic in Paint if you are using Windows, and then do a flip option under image tab.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Welcome from Vegas... try www.snailmotorsports.com for powdercoating ... they did some Harley parts and a few misc truck parts for me...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
MRcamaro

I remember seeing them when I was looking into powder coating some of my Camaro parts. Parts came out nice?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRcamaro View Post
I remember seeing them when I was looking into powder coating some of my Camaro parts. Parts came out nice?
Posted via Mobile Device
I did both gloss and wrinkle on the Harley parts and they came out nice. They also did some calipers in Flag Red for my Blazer... They did a semi gloss on the cowl for the truck... came out great...

My next test is some ceramic coating on the exhaust Y pipe for the Blazer...

Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
MRcamaro

Day 1 Updates

Update for Day 1:

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked but still not a bad day. Most if it coordinating with the shop owner that is letting me use his space for a trade we did, had to wait on him for a little because he was getting the engine hoist and engine stand. Just gonna kick in what it would have cost me to rent for 1 day and can use it anytime I want so good deal for both of us. Spent most of the morning getting my tools together and waiting to be picked up by the rental car company. Packed up all my tools to transport in my rental car (camaro needs to be put back together) to the shop. Spent a couple hours putting together the hoist from HF which some parts didn't fit... yup not the best quality but it will do. haha, and put together the engine stand. Plans were to take the engine and tranny out but not enough time for that so it will happen tomorrow after taking apart the front clip. Today got the bed loos and it's ready to come off whenever we need, so by the end of tomorrow it should be just the cab on the chassis or at least really close to it. Gonna hit it fast and furious (pun intended? IDK) tomorrow and think it will be a really productive day and will be ready for sandblasting on Friday... maybe even Thursday if my OCD/ADD kicks in and I get in that zone where I don't wanna stop til it's at that point. Well here are some more pics of the pre resto and the some updates.

Seats and carpet out, tank looks nice has some dirt or rust inside but probably relocating to the rear frame so might keep it around or give it to someone for a low price.

Floors not looking too bad from up here so might be able to do a left/right patch,we'll see after sandblasting.
Name:  IMG_1870.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  56.6 KB

This is how they did the floors, just set a patch on top and screwed it in. coming out but may be able to be cut and welded in the right way but I doubt it.

Name:  IMG_1863.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  38.1 KB

Undercarriage..... oh I can just picture right now how much prettier it's gonna look, even just after sandblasting.

Name:  IMG_1850.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1846.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  42.7 KB
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #12
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

any progress?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
MRcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
any progress?
Yes.... some progress but not as much as I would like due to circumstances beyond my control. Took it a local "hot rod shop" here in Vegas expecting a timely and good service. Was told 2-3 days and 1k at the most for the whole truck, long story short took it, couldn't get the bed apart in time so took everything except the bed but added a couple bins of small items, guys were taking way too long, kept checking up and at a weeks time i was starting to get frustrated, kept hearing excuses and at a week and half, which was yesterday a day after they said it would be done FOR SURE they didn't even start on the chassis which was the piece I wanted first. Tried to say it was gonna be $1600 so had to get a little stern with the guys and told them BS, I'm not paying $1600 when you quoted me 1K because you say I brought extra parts and while you guy are slacking... so got "requoted" at $1200..... amazing what people will do when they think they can get over. I called the day after they said it would be done and the rolling chassis had yet to be touched so I told them forget it, pull the plug and charge for everything minus the frame. So in a week and a half since my last post the only things they blasted was the hood, doors, fenders, window hardware and cab. When I called and they said not only was it not done but their sandblaster was MIA and the last they heard from him was when he was on the way to the shop I told him I'm coming to pick up my truck, so did and took it to Tuckers who seem to be really nice responsible guys and think I should have gone with them from the beginning. Everything except the bed should be blasted by Monday or Tuesday, want to get the frame tore back down and coated before I start the sheetmetal work but I will start it Monday if it's not done yet.

Only extra spot on the cab I seen that will need a patch is the rear cab corners, $13 at Tuckers so no problem. Picked up the 1969 truck repair manual and the 1967-72 factory assembly module and that is a really nice book for when looking at finding those spot welds, torques, and measuremnts to get sheetmetal straight. I tore down the bed and setting that on the back burner to get blasted since it's not as critical on truck get running I can set it aside for now. Plan is to work on the cab sheetmetal first if the chassis is not done on monday but really want to get the chassis done first so I can set everything on it and make sure there is not warping or twisting after doing the floors.... or I have a jig type welding table I an take measurements from the frame and jig it up... we'll see which route I go on that.

I'll upload some update pics on Monday when I get back in town but pretty much completely disassemble and clean metal to geta good start, major parts are ordered and in possesion, complete floor pan, kick panels, cab bushings, contorl arm, and frame bushings, kmd chassis coat, grille, and cab corners, need exhaust,maybe headers, and waiting on a windshield but not hurry yet and looks like once I get back in town Monday it will be high gear time once again, and not much to keep me from finishing this in a decent time.