The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
My7d1

Power Steering Conversion Kit - Favor

So I know there are multiple power steering conversion threads on here and I learned from them as I have from so many threads on this board. One of the things I learned is that the "kit" to do the conversion is nice but not cheap and at the end of the day it wouldn't have worked on my 250 cu in 6 cyl as all the brackets are for small blocks. So I found all the parts at various vendors on here, recommended by members and I found the right bracket on e-bay from a company called Davis Speed Equipment, I have to say other than a minor tweak to one of the mounting holes, that bracket is like a piece of art, perfect fit and adjustment is a one person, one handed deal....

I have the pump bracket and pump mounted, just got the manual gear box out, and since I am going to slip in a new tilt column with a shifter in preparation for when I put in the 700r4, I took out everything from the gear box to rag joint to mid-shaft to old column and before I start the reassembly (and the ability to parallel park my truck without breaking a sweat), I was hoping someone who actually bought one of the kits would be so kind to share a copy of the assembly instructions that came with it?

My concern is 1st the order in which I do it and 2nd things like how to reconnect the pitman arm (line it up and hammer it on?) and 3rd installing or attaching the new rag joint?? I leaned the hard way, to remove the pitman arm BEFORE taking the gear box off the frame (duh but I was too anxious to get all the parts off to think things through, hummm I never did that before....)

Since I am doing this myself it would be nice to not install a part only to find out it should have been installed after another one went on... plus I would like to see pictures of how the new rag joint mounts to the new PS gear box, etc.

I am assuming the process would be gear box, pitman arm, rag joint, mid-shaft, steering column?

Thanks!
My7d1 is offline   Reply With Quote