The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
weider1717

Restoring my exhaust manifolds ran into this hold up (pic)

Ok, that metal heat shield doesn't just bolt on it's fixed as in like welded together where the lip it goes all the way around it's two pieces spot welded together so how in the world am I supposed to get that off to blast the entire manifold coat it then blast the shield and clear it? and if i take it off it will mess it up not sure what to do on this what have you guys done in the past?

thanks

Name:  securedownload-25.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  39.2 KB
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
speedmachine

Re: Restoring my exhaust manifolds ran into this hold up (pic)

ive never seen that before... not sure if its stock but regardless youll have to take you time with a pencil grinder and grind the weld out then do your blasting etc and weld them back on or leave it off.
speedmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
gramps

yeah thats stock. Only way to remove is to grind off. Can leave them off, most rotted off anyways. otherwise when you're done blasting/painting your manifolds, you can weld t hem back together.
gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Rufton

It would be best if you can live w/o shield.
I don't expect clear to last long.
True ceramic coating will last and will look pretty close to original.
Attached Images

Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
bigd65

Get rid of it, it's just a heat riser for the air cleaner to suck in warm air to help it warm up quicker. I ripped mine apart because when I removed mine, the manifold was still on the truck....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
weider1717

Yeah there seems to be no good option unless I just coat what I can get to and just forget about it lol.

The truck has 68k miles on it and is in REALLY good shape everything original I just hate to rip it off as of now I will just coat what I can and blast it with the shield on and clear the shield.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post
Yeah there seems to be no good option unless I just coat what I can get to and just forget about it lol.

The truck has 68k miles on it and is in REALLY good shape everything original I just hate to rip it off as of now I will just coat what I can and blast it with the shield on and clear the shield.
I'd probably do the same thing to keep it OEM.

If you want it to last I'd use proper ceramic which requires heat cure and can be polished in media blaster.

If you wan't quick and easy. Parts store high temp paint which has the word ceramic on the can; but does not last very long.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
88Jimmy4x4

Those are riveted on, you can get new shields and rivets on any of the classic corvette/camaro online sites. If you soak them good you can take a pair or pliers and twist back and forth and they should pull out.

I got mine off when I restored my manifolds.

88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
Those are riveted on, you can get new shields and rivets on any of the classic corvette/camaro online sites. If you soak them good you can take a pair or pliers and twist back and forth and they should pull out.

I got mine off when I restored my manifolds.

awesome info thanks! I called my chevy dealer today what he told me is that the shield is in two pieces which I knew that and you can buy the inside one but you can't buy the outter piece without buying the entire manifold.

if you can point me in the direction of where I can buy the outer one I have the part number for the inner one which is discontinued but I found a dealership in ohio that has 1 but I am still lacking the outter one because mine will need replaced by time I pry on it etc to get the rivet off.

also when you popped the rivets off and took it off how did you break it apart? and did you put yours back on? how did you reattach the two pieces?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
weider1717

Quote:
awesome info thanks! I called my chevy dealer today what he told me is that the shield is in two pieces which I knew that and you can buy the inside one but you can't buy the outter piece without buying the entire manifold.

if you can point me in the direction of where I can buy the outer one I have the part number for the inner one which is discontinued but I found a dealership in ohio that has 1 but I am still lacking the outter one because mine will need replaced by time I pry on it etc to get the rivet off.

also when you popped the rivets off and took it off how did you break it apart? and did you put yours back on? how did you reattach the two pieces?
ttt
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #11
76C10Stepside

I believe the two main "rivets" that hold the outer half onto the manifold are knurled pins that were hammered in. Those can be removed by soaking with Liquid Wrench, etc., then turned/pried out. I've gotten them out intact and reused them. Looks like the entire preheater will come off after you get the pins out, so no need to separate the halves, but if you do have to, grind the spotwelds off using a cutoff wheel (dremel tool or angle grinder), then tack weld them back together with an electric welder.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:

mine being a 1976 is different than yours and didn't wrap around. Once I removed my rivets it falls off. I ordered parts from soooo man different places I don't remember the exact place for the rivets but it was a corvette/Camaro website.

heres a pic of mine
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
mine being a 1976 is different than yours and didn't wrap around. Once I removed my rivets it falls off. I ordered parts from soooo man different places I don't remember the exact place for the rivets but it was a corvette/Camaro website.

heres a pic of mine
thanks, one more question do you happen to remember where you ordered the shields from? surely a camaro site didn't have those right? or maybe so maybe the camaro used those same manifolds.

thanks man, not sure how I'm gonna restore mine and get a new shield on it but I'm determined to do this right.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
88Jimmy4x4

Yes I ordered from Camaro site I think firehawk classics, alot of these parts are generic across the board
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
88Jimmy4x4

www.firewheelclassics.com is correct name

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...967-1968-1969/

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...t-shield-1969/

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...e-shield-1969/

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...d-rivets-1969/

They have a lot of correct little bushings, fastners etc, like this battery cable clips which correctly route the cable to starter.
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...967-1968-1969/

Last edited by 88Jimmy4x4; 04-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
weider1717

thankyou!