The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Route-66

Suggestions about repairing rear fenders

I'm still assessing all of the work that I'm going to need to do to the '72 SWB Fleetside truck I picked up a couple of days ago.

One of the repairs I will need to make is to to the back of both rear fenders (the taillight sections). The fenders have obviously been dented in the past and it looks like that Ray Charles did the repairs on them! I have tried to find rear fender patch panels that can be cut off and welded but with no success. I did find those patches for Suburban's and Panel Trucks (See photo) but no luck with for my Fleetside. It will be a pain to try and straighten everything but it may be my only option unless I could find some damaged fenders that still have the taillight sections intact and cut them out.

Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Route-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Robznob11

Re: Suggestions about repairing rear fenders

Id just get a piece of metal bent in I 90* and cut out the edge and replace it then I would grind it all to the metal and put 36 grit hatches in it and dynaglass it or I like to use fiber hair marten senior filler from napa its basically the same as dynaglass, then prime seal and skim coat it with regular filler. you will find that trying to weld in a full patch down the bed side will warp like crazy unless you are a crazy good welder and have a good welder like a tig! you will end up using glass anyhow so why not just go with the easier and cheaper fix. that filler is great but I don't like using any filler on a edge that's why id weld in a piece of bent metal. good luck!
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Route-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Id just get a piece of metal bent in I 90* and cut out the edge and replace it then I would grind it all to the metal and put 36 grit hatches in it and dynaglass it or I like to use fiber hair marten senior filler from napa its basically the same as dynaglass, then prime seal and skim coat it with regular filler. you will find that trying to weld in a full patch down the bed side will warp like crazy unless you are a crazy good welder and have a good welder like a tig! you will end up using glass anyhow so why not just go with the easier and cheaper fix. that filler is great but I don't like using any filler on a edge that's why id weld in a piece of bent metal. good luck!
That's a great suggestion! Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Robznob11

Talking Re: Suggestions about repairing rear fenders

Quote:
just caught a mistake on my part lol! I use fiber strand from napa. The hair is long and hard to work and sand. The strand workes just like any other filler (laying and sanding) but it is way harder,water proof, near zero shrinkage! Its for thicker or more structural repairs than light wt filler
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Route-66

Quote:
just caught a mistake on my part lol! I use fiber strand from napa. The hair is long and hard to work and sand. The strand workes just like any other filler (laying and sanding) but it is way harder,water proof, near zero shrinkage! Its for thicker or more structural repairs than light wt filler
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks again. I actually got the notification of your post on my iPhone when I was about 1/4 mile from a Napa store so I stopped and bought a quart of Fiber Strand .. thanks!