The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
lock
Insert funny comment.

Does anyone make a bedcover like Im looking for?

Ive got a short step bed. I want a bed cover that is:

- solid (fiberglass, etc)
- mounts completely flat with the top of the bedsides
- fits inside the bedsides(not one of those that covers the rails)
- opens with struts
- locks
- doesnt leak

Basically I want to be able to securely store stuff in my bed and have a nice looking cover, not one that buldges up. If you know a company that makes ones like this please let me know... url too if available.

-My Build Thread...

-68 C10, LT1 - Undergoing Frame off resto
-86 IROC-Z T72 turbo 355, M6
-70 Camaro

http://www.iroc-ss.com
lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
Ackattack

I have the same requirements, and have come to the conclusion that I'll have to make my own.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:05 PM   #3
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Get a peice of marine grade plywood, angle iron, box full of 1 1/2 sheet metal screws and 4 big hinges.
Cut the peice of plywood to the proper size of your bed. Cut the angle iron to the with of the front rail of your bed. Cut 4 more peices of angle iron to 4 inches. Screw the hinges to the front peice of angle iron and screw the 4 4in peices spaced evenly apart on the side rails. Once it is set in place you can remove it all and paint to your liking. In a weekend you can do this. I have seen it done on many trucks and it looks nice....
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
68LSS1

Do the Checkmate lids not fit flush or did people have issues with them leaking? I thought about doing something like 67Fleetsidedream suggested but I'm trying to keep the truck on a diet and that plywood and angle iron would add up quickly. I might try making my own fiberglass unit. Shouldn't be too hard. Make it out of plywood and skin it and the mold is 3/4 the way done. Just have to come up with an idea for sealing the sides. Maybe some aluminum extrusion or something.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Fiberglass lid

I have 4 of the Gaylord fiberglass lids. They are not exactly what you are looking for but here is the info on them.
GAYLORD'S-11001SNTN2 CHV/GMC STP SMT/BLK 54-87
Retail $950.00
Our Price $855.00 w/ free shipping!

To see the pic
http://www.gaylordslids.com/showroom...69-GMC-red.jpg

These are available by phone only.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
lock
Insert funny comment.

Hmm the Gaylords is sort of close to what Im looking for. It covers the rail tops but it looks quite nice and Im sure that helps prevent leaks.. Do those covers have locks? If so, where is it?

-My Build Thread...

-68 C10, LT1 - Undergoing Frame off resto
-86 IROC-Z T72 turbo 355, M6
-70 Camaro

http://www.iroc-ss.com
lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Quote:
Originally posted by lock
Hmm the Gaylords is sort of close to what Im looking for. It covers the rail tops but it looks quite nice and Im sure that helps prevent leaks.. Do those covers have locks? If so, where is it?
Gaylord's Truck Lid & Tonneau Cover includes two self tightening compression type locks that adds to the water tight seal and provides security for your truck bed.
They are located on the top at rear of the truck at both sides.
See pics at http://www.gaylordslids.com/classics.asp.
Although the 67-72 does not show one, Gaylord told me that this is on every lid they carry.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #8
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Here is a pic of the Gaylord locks ,if you need more detail let me know.
Attached Images

Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:15 AM   #9
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I made mine. I used a waterproof medium density fibreboard product commonly called MDX. I joined two pieces together with a tenon down the center, and reinforced the bottom with some hardwood.I hinged it with 3 ea. 3 1/2" door hinges which are mounted to the cover with stainless screws and T-nuts. The other halves of the hinges are cut down and welded to the front bedrail. It locks into the post pockets using some common cam locks. I weatherstripped it with 1/4" X 1.5" adhesive backed dense foam which is also the same thickness as the collapsed hinges. This allowed the cover to lay perfectly flat on the bed rails. I finished it off by routing a radius that is similar to the bed rails on the top edge. If I want to remove the cover all I have to do is knock the hinge pins out and lift it off with the help of a friend. It's flat, smoothe, and quite sturdy. It's a little heavy. (100lbs or so) but it's fine for me.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2003, 01:38 AM   #10
Martin64

jhwkns, do you have any pics showing the inside construction?

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote