The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
jameson72

Cameo stuff

I'm a new member, I read through the rules and am not sure if I am allowed to ask some "whats it worth" questions? Don't want to get in trouble my first post, thanks in advance!

P.S. great site, I did do some forum searching, saw lots of cameo talk but no numbers.
jameson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: Cameo stuff

Nope. Only supporting members can.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
jameson72

cool thanks for clarifying
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

You're ALREADY in trouble!

Ha ha, no just kidding. Good that you asked though. Also, you're supposed to introduce yourself. Tell us what you're working on or what you WANT to work on (Cameo?) and your plans? IF you already have a truck, POST PICTURES!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You're ALREADY in trouble!

Ha ha, no just kidding. Good that you asked though. Also, you're supposed to introduce yourself. Tell us what you're working on or what you WANT to work on (Cameo?) and your plans? IF you already have a truck, POST PICTURES!
Yes DAN is right. Post pictures.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
jameson72

Oh, uh well my names Ryan, I grew up in so cal, living in central Texas now. The Cameo's story is kind of a sad one (and I must warn you know I don't have pictures). My dad and I got it for 200 dollars when I was 15. It was a rolling frame with a cab on it, the bed was sitting on it backwards and stuffed full of parts - both cameo and other vehicles. We started the project as a low budget DD for high school, but as projects often do it snowballed and got a volarie front clip and a tbi 350. We had it running and were about to start in on the bed and body work when my pops got sick. The project sat idle for a long time while he battled cancer and ultimately passed away. After he died I decided I wanted to make it a shrine of sorts and I took the whole thing back apart wanting to make a 'show' truck out of it. Being 20 and not having the money or knowledge I didn't get too far. I sold the tbi 350/700r4 and started work on a stroker motor. I took the whole thing down to the frame to do a ground up build.

At about that time I took a job in a different town and work ceased on the Cameo. I kinda just distanced myself from the whole project because it was so overwhelming (emotionally and physically). Parts of it sat in my moms garage and the cab and front clip were at a local hot rod shop who knew my dad well and agreed to help with body work. Essentially I just abandoned it. I think he's sold the cab and fenders and a few other parts I had there. I don't blame him. I was young and dumb and owed him some money, he did what he had to do to when I just disappeared.

So all I have left is a frame with a volarie front clip, a 383 stroker motor, and the bed. It's been in storage for years and I'm sure I've paid more for it in storage fees than what it's worth. I've never moved the stuff to texas because it would involve uhauls and a lot of gas money I don't have. I have an opportunity to put a trailer behind a friends uhaul moving out here (to clean out the storage unit in so cal), but I don't think there is room for the cameo stuff, which I why I was wondering it's value. It kills me to even think of selling it as I've always had such high hopes for completing it, but I'm so far from having a whole truck and just not in a place in my life where I can tackle that size project right now.

I have 55 bed sides, the inner bed panels, new wood, new chrome strips for wood, a tailgate, tailgate skin, those little fiberglass pieces that go between the cameo bed and cab, the retractor things for the tailgate, bumper, bumperettes, tail lights, spare tire holder. Basically a whole bed except I think the front chrome between cab/bed. Everything is in ROUGH shape. It must have been driven without supports as the fiberglass sides have tears. The bumper is complete but has many dents and will definitely need re-chromed. The tail lights are the worst, they basically have holes in them, not even sure they are salvageable. I got an offer from a friend that I consider very low, I was just wondering what other people thought the bed might be worth? And again like I said, no pictures, it's in storage a thousand miles away.

Thanks again and thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Ugh. Sorry to hear of your father's loss.

Since tender feelings are involved, I would not presume to tell you what YOU should do with it, but I will tell you what I would do.

I think I'd cut my losses and sell what remains for whatever I could get. Not necessarily from this "friend" if he's lowballing. I'd run an ad in Craigslist as a "package only" explaining what's available and stating no photos as it's in out of state storage. IF I got no offers, I'd take this "friend's" offer.

I'd not spend another dollar on storage fees.

Since this one's original cab and VIN are gone and since Volare IFS is no longer in vogue it's not like you truly have the same truck anyway. Another Cameo will come along at a better time for you IF it turns out you really are dedicated to getting one.

Best of luck. Tell us what you ultimately decide to do.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
jameson72

Thanks Dan, I was kind of thinking the same thing, the nostalgia and sentiment are cool, but in the end it's just fiberglass and chrome, I can always buy another project down the road that is not quite so overwhelming. Thanks for your input.