The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
65'RustBucket

Monojet Float/Rebuild ?s

Hey guys!

Lovin' the rustbucket, hating the monojet (and whoever mangled the rest of these 'repair jobs' before me...)! It leaks out of the bottom of the float bowl at/near the linkage for the power arm? and that other little arm it connects to to open the jet. This leakage occurs right away, not a slow leak, but rather, a downpour almost as soon as I crank it over/as soon as gas enters the bowl. I don't know whether I put it together wrong or if I have not adjusted the float correctly... Either way it's frustrating as hell... Any suggestions?

*Side*
It's been running rough (eg not firing on all cylinders *fixed that* then running smooth when given gas but crappy when lifting off gas, idle is rough but okay) so I've been giving the ol' gal a much needed tune up (replaced the entire ignition system besides the dizzy and filters and such). In the process I figured I would open up the carb, clean it out, and replace tired looking gaskets... Then this headache.
Posted via Mobile Device
65'RustBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Monojet Float/Rebuild ?s

First check your float. If its the plastic type put it in some gas or solvent. It should bobble around. If it sinks in quite a ways, it is soaked up with gas. If its brass shake it & make sure there is no gas inside of it. Its a good idea just to buy a new one. The easiest way to check the float level is to fill the bowl near full of gas. Hold down on the pin so the float wont ride up. Measure the distance from the top of the float near the end to the top of the housing. This adjustment is critical. It should match the specks on the sheet that comes with the kit. Make sure there is no dirt in the needle & seat & have a good filter in the inlet.
Those are good carbs. It should run excellent if right.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
65'RustBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The easiest way to check the float level is to fill the bowl near full of gas. Hold down on the pin so the float wont ride up. Measure the distance from the top of the float near the end to the top of the housing. This adjustment is critical. It should match the specks on the sheet that comes with the kit. Make sure there is no dirt in the needle & seat & have a good filter in the inlet.
Those are good carbs. It should run excellent if right.
Thanks! Ya I was a little confused how to adjust it properly... I've read most of the literature on adjustment as merely "pushing down lightly on the needle", but how *light* are they talkin' and how much should I push it down? It seemed like a sloppy/crappy way to adjust something so crucial and exact e.g. 9/32 of an inch. So how much should I exactly fill it with gas/solvent? "Near full" as in almost pouring over the sides? Sorry if I'm being a PITA, but I'm a real particular type when it comes to directions.

I've only rebuilt small engine carbs and their float assembly is quite a bit different (e.g. the float needle isn't held off the edge of the float by a staple... haha) and I've luckily never had to mess with them much. Oh ya another thing, it appears that the float needle just kinda dangles precariously above the seat and when messing with it earlier it appears no matter how much I would potentially bend it it would never fully *seat* all the way down at the bottom... Is this just the design of the thing or am I missing something here? I also have seen exploded diagrams of the carb as well and it doesn't appear as though I'm missing any parts...

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
65'RustBucket

Ya know what Wrenchbender, I actually figured it out. I'm an idiot. I unthinkingly put the float on the hinge upside down Thanks for all the help though! She's purring now! Well I still have to hook up the vac gauge to get her really dialed in, but she's good enough to get to school in!