The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
youngerestorer

Question Steering Column Question??

So I installed the Toyota power steering box from CPP, but I was wondering what did you guys do for the steering column, did you buy a new column or the kit that modifies the original column? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
sqrlnts

Re: Steering Column Question??

Hey Welcome to the board! I have done some searching but not much information out there. Only thing I read here was they suggest cutting the inner shaft and fitting it for a rag joint. Maybe try calling CPP tech line and ask them?

Where in Phoenix do you live? I am in Chandler.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
G&R's57GMC

Check out http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59-.../#.UU-DKr_XdMJ
for a steering column lower bearing conversion
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
youngerestorer

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to have to decide what to do, but I think calling CPP would be a good idea and the lower bearing seems like it would work too. The truck is actually in Chandler, right around Elliot and the 101.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Speedbumpauto

Unless you're dead set on the stock look, I'd opt for an aftermarket tilt unit. They're pretty cheap these days and it solves the turn signal problem without that ugly clamp on thing + most aftermarket wiring harnesses are already set up to plug right in. I had a guy here in Tucson build me one to the measurments I wanted for around $250 and painted it body color and I'll never look back. The chinese one's are $100 cheaper than that but I won't go there.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
mr48chev

This is one of those places where you have to decide what you want and not what everyone else thinks you should have.

It isn't that hard to cut the column and shaft off and put the bearing in the bottom end and fit the shaft for a universal joint. If you do that you want to cut both long and then take them apart to shorten the tube and put the bearing in and then cut the shaft to length. Borgeson or Flaming River have large selections of u joints made for steering shafts.

http://www.borgeson.com/

http://www.flamingriver.com/

http://ididit.com/

Ididit and Flaming River both have quality aftermarket steering columns. They aren't exactly inexpensive but the quality is there. I see that Ididit has a simple straight "old school" column for guys who don't want all the frufru too and the painted one is fairly inexpensive. No turn signals though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
mknittle

I built mine out of tubing and spare parts.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474288

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngerestorer View Post
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to have to decide what to do, but I think calling CPP would be a good idea and the lower bearing seems like it would work too. The truck is actually in Chandler, right around Elliot and the 101.
Thats crazy! I live at Elliott and Warner, you have to be less than a mile away. I think I have the lower bearing if you decide to go that route. I will look tonight.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
mr48chev

Can't hide from anyone around this place.

I finally found the May issue of Custom Classic Trucks at Fred Meyers today and lo and behold there on page44 is an article on that steering box. It would be nice if they showed how they modified the steering shaft to work rather than just assuming that people knew what they did.

That is an interesting setup for guys who want power steering with their I beam axle or want power steering on a 4x4 conversion on one of these trucks.

Youngrestorer I'm thinking that you could pull the steering shaft out of a mid 70's non tilt pickup (or GM car) column and use it in your column tube to have a shaft that would be easier to work with on the bottom end. I've got some junk columns at home, I'll see if I can take one apart and take some photos .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Can't hide from anyone around this place.

I finally found the May issue of Custom Classic Trucks at Fred Meyers today and lo and behold there on page44 is an article on that steering box. It would be nice if they showed how they modified the steering shaft to work rather than just assuming that people knew what they did.

That is an interesting setup for guys who want power steering with their I beam axle or want power steering on a 4x4 conversion on one of these trucks.

Youngrestorer I'm thinking that you could pull the steering shaft out of a mid 70's non tilt pickup (or GM car) column and use it in your column tube to have a shaft that would be easier to work with on the bottom end. I've got some junk columns at home, I'll see if I can take one apart and take some photos .
I hadden't thought about it but maybe a later bearing and retainer could be grafted to the stock column. Like you said use a later shaft and get the correct splines on both ends.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
OrrieG

A couple of companies have a "column saver" kit that has the right size bearing for separating the stock column from the box for reuse. From there it is just mocking it up using dowels or conduit to figure the routing and joint types requied. Borgsen has a real good tech article on laying out your shaft and the limitations of different joints. I used their information for layout, junk yard Astro van and stock 74 shafts for the install.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Borgsen has a real good tech article on laying out your shaft
Sorry couldn't resist
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
youngerestorer

Don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead, but I called CPP and they said they have all the parts for a new tilt steering column, but they said that I cant use the original steering wheel, which I am kind of attached too (Reminds of a school bus steering wheel). So I was wondering do any of you have experience with using a new tilt column from CPP while also using the original steering wheel? Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngerestorer View Post
Don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead, but I called CPP and they said they have all the parts for a new tilt steering column, but they said that I cant use the original steering wheel, which I am kind of attached too (Reminds of a school bus steering wheel). So I was wondering do any of you have experience with using a new tilt column from CPP while also using the original steering wheel? Thanks in advance for the help!!
I am personally not a big fan of the word can't. I would ask them specifically why you can not use your original wheel and go from there. I would assume it has something to do with the old steering wheel hub. Maybe you could look into some sort of adapter......
Good Luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
OrrieG

I am adapting a 48 steering wheel to my Eldo column. If I remember from my research the 56 column if relatively flat, I could not use my 59 because it is dished. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to get the horn to work and the transition from the old to new trim. Look at my thread around post 614(march 18, 2012) to see how I repaired and adapted it, it is spread over a few pages. The splines should be the same. For me someone saying it "can't work" just means they have not figured it out or do not want to deal with it. Also, I have read that the bigger diameter columns make the steering a little twitchy and faster with possible over reaction if you are used to smaller diameter wheels. I would not take their absolute word for it.

Last edited by OrrieG; 04-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
1956chevtruck

I used a 1970 Chev van tilt column and did some work to the the shifter bezel (smoothed it). I had to do some customizing for going through the firewall, however the length was perfect with a 1974 Trans Am clip.
Attached Images

1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
youngerestorer

Decided to use the original steering column, So I was wondering do any of you have or have found instructions on modifying the original steering column to connect to the toyota steering box, besides borgeson's?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
beanyard

I think cpp has a column saver kit. They also have a brand new steering box that they are promoting. They recommend it instead of the Toyota kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
beanyard is offline   Reply With Quote