The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
Keep on Trukin

Air Bags how-to-do?

Can anyone refer me to a website or a shop in North Texas, Ft. Worth-Dal. area, where i can get some info on doing an install myself. I need a step-by-step install and what i need to buy individually, airbags, and etc.. for my 67gmc shortie.
Any help would be great, Thanks guys!

As u can see im going to try to save as much money as i can.

Keep on trukin!!!!!!!!
Keep on Trukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
SCOTI

Air Ride used to have a 'how-to' article on their website detailing the installation of an air ride kit on a 60's vintage truck. I don't know of many businesses(sp?) that will walk you through an installation since that's typically where they make their money. Try looking through back issues of truck magazines for how to articles.

Is there something in particular your trying to find out?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #3
Keep on Trukin

Thanks for the info Scoti, i just need to know what kind of bags, should i use, brackets, do i need a panhard bar, i have leaf springs, so do i need to remove them little stuff like that. I would like to find out. I guess if i just do a little more research and call around. Thnks!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

You may have to do a more custom install since you have leaf springs. I believe most "kits" for our trucks are for coil spring equipped trucks and simply replace the coils in the rear. The front kits should be no problem (bolt-in).

If I had leaves and wanted to go with an airbag set up, I would look at Air-Ride Techs four bar setup with a panard bar.

Food for thought...
MrShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
Keep on Trukin

Thanks, i will look into Air-Ride Tch. Do u know of any truck clubs around the Ftworth-Dallas area?
Old 11-19-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
SCOTI

The air over leaf kit would work in your application for the rear & the front is the standard 1/2 ton chevy truck stuff. Definitely check out AirRides website.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-19-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
Ackattack

I'm planning on doing airbags on the rear so that I can carry a little heavier loads without bottoming out and then just let out some air for normal driving.

I too have leaves. I'm going to remove all of them except the one that bolts to the shackle/hanger. This is the only spring that controls any lateral forces anyways. Airbag on top of it, and then come up with some kind of anti axle wrap/traction bar. I'm not going to run a compressor, since I will mainly keep it at one level. I'll just "fill up" the bags when I need to haul something. Hope this helps.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
SCOTI

Ackattack, consider something along the lines of a 'Cal-Trac' type traction bar.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #9
Keep on Trukin

Cool Ackattack, hey are u just doing the back, and where are u getting the brackets for the back, do they come in a kit, keep me up dated, i want to do it myself. Get all the parts then go at it.