The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
BrokeTillDone

Lightbulb New to this world!!!

New to this old truck world. Just purchased a 1961 truck. I always thought I would build a car never a truck but got to admit once this thing was offered to me I jumped on it. I just picked it up 2 days ago and I can't wait to start ripping into this thing and get it road worthy. I don't know much about the truck pretty much bought it sight unseen but I am very happy with it. Hopefully you guys can help me out through this process. If I ask stupid questions please forgive me as I am not too familiar with the GMC/Chevy world. And now for some pictures.

After a blowout and driving 2 blocks with a flat tire she is finally home:

The tire that gave its life so the rest of the truck could survive:

The bed looks to have been changed. It is sporting a Chevy bed which will get changed out for a GMC bed. Might turn the Chevy bed into a trailer:

When I opened the hood I was quite surprised. It looks like the previous owner dropped a big block in it. I think its a 454 but not too sure. It fired right up and sounds and runs like a champ. Only issue that I was told about is that it will not go past second gear. Didn't drive faster then 10MPH so I haven't tested it out myself.

The only markings I can see at the moment are on the exhaust manifold and the air filter housing:

This is the tranny. From what I have looked up and read it looks to be a THM400 but I could be wrong:

The interior. The previous owner changed out the seat.

I thinks thats enough pictures for now, unless you guys would like some more. I did take a peak at the chassis and it looks a little rough under the bed. I am a blank book at this point any knowledge, advice, recommendations, thoughts, and guidance is very much appreciated.
Sunday will be the first day of tear down. I am planning on removing the whole front, degreasing and power washing the engine and front part of the chassis. I will update this thread with pictures as I go. Wish me LUCK!
Oh how can I make this picture my Avatar?
BrokeTillDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: New to this world!!!

Welcome BTD! Nice touch on the last photo and dig the Double hump hood!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Slow Build

Welcome.

You really only need to change the tailgate on the bed.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Ta2Don

and welcome to your new addiction! Good Looking
Check out the FAQ section, there are Great People out here as well as a Wealth of Info.
And as many pics as you feel like uploading are much appreciated, we like Pictures, Pictures, Pictures...
Speaking from experience, as a newby at one time, start a build thread if you are so inclined and photo document all you do... Not only will all out here enjoy, but you will have invaluable reference materials to access when needed...
Again, on the truck...

P.S. Check out the MarkeB01 build thread...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD

Last edited by Ta2Don; 05-02-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: mispelliing
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome! That’s a very cool acquisition. I see it has the deluxe trim package with the wide windshield trim, chrome vent windows and the chrome side glass frames. It’s interesting the truck is early enough to have the metal side glass frames, but late enough they already deleted the piece of trim that goes across the back of the cab.

Judging by the steering column and master cylinder it’s likely to have originally been equipped with a Hydramatic transmission. As mentioned earlier no need to change the bed to obtain the correct tailgate, they are interchangeable.

To create an avatar photo go to:

User CP – The 3rd button from the left near the top of the page below the truck logo.
Go to “Edit Avatar” under Settings and Options
From here go to “Custom Avatar” and pick whatever you like.

You may have to resize your file to make it fit within specifications.

Good luck on your project!

Also - as Don mentioned, take a lot of pictures, particularly right now before you start tearing it apart. It's very frustrating years in the future when you have hundreds of photos showing all the progress that's been achieved, and very few or none of what it looked like in the beginning. And taking detail pictures of how things are attached can make it much easier to remember where things went when it comes time to put it back together.

One other observation - it's interesting to note the original owner apparently did not order the "turn signal option"! The original owner of my truck did order these accessories, and they are listed as two separate line items, front turn signals and rear turn signals!

Last edited by markeb01; 05-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
vegadesign

welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564028
vegadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
Welcome BTD! Nice touch on the last photo and dig the Double hump hood!
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Welcome.

You really only need to change the tailgate on the bed.
Thank for the welcome! I would just change the tailgate but the bed is pretty beat up. I figure it would be cheaper if I bought a new bed with tailgate than fix the existing one. What do you guys think? Is it cheaper to change it out or fix it? Below are pictures for reference:

Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
and welcome to your new addiction! Good Looking
Check out the FAQ section, there are Great People out here as well as a Wealth of Info.
And as many pics as you feel like uploading are much appreciated, we like Pictures, Pictures, Pictures...
Speaking from experience, as a newby at one time, start a build thread if you are so inclined and photo document all you do... Not only will all out here enjoy, but you will have invaluable reference materials to access when needed...
Again, on the truck...

P.S. Check out the MarkeB01 build thread...
It really is becoming an addiction and I haven't removed a single panel yet.
I been combining the FAQ section and man does that just confuse me even more. So many different ideas on what to do its overwhelming. After a couple days of looking at different projects I have decide to just start working on the truck and see where it goes from there. Thanks for the suggestion on the build thread, I will start one after the first tear down day.

Checked out that MarkeB01 build thread very inspiring.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Welcome! That’s a very cool acquisition. I see it has the deluxe trim package with the wide windshield trim, chrome vent windows and the chrome side glass frames. It’s interesting the truck is early enough to have the metal side glass frames, but late enough they already deleted the piece of trim that goes across the back of the cab.

Judging by the steering column and master cylinder it’s likely to have originally been equipped with a Hydramatic transmission. As mentioned earlier no need to change the bed to obtain the correct tailgate, they are interchangeable.

To create an avatar photo go to:

User CP – The 3rd button from the left near the top of the page below the truck logo.
Go to “Edit Avatar” under Settings and Options
From here go to “Custom Avatar” and pick whatever you like.

You may have to resize your file to make it fit within specifications.

Good luck on your project!

Also - as Don mentioned, take a lot of pictures, particularly right now before you start tearing it apart. It's very frustrating years in the future when you have hundreds of photos showing all the progress that's been achieved, and very few or none of what it looked like in the beginning. And taking detail pictures of how things are attached can make it much easier to remember where things went when it comes time to put it back together.

One other observation - it's interesting to note the original owner apparently did not order the "turn signal option"! The original owner of my truck did order these accessories, and they are listed as two separate line items, front turn signals and rear turn signals!
Thanks for the warm welcome! You got all that information by just looking at the picture! Speaking of the steering column: I don't think its the original steering column. Or did Park not exist in those days. Noob question I know.

I saw your build thread and I can see why the pictures from begin to end really help to put into perspective on how much change and hard work you put into your truck. Beautiful truck by the way.

Thank you again for your input!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadesign View Post
welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck!
Thank you for the welcome.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Yes original Hydramatic transmissions did not have a Park position on the indicator. The owner was suppose to know to shift into reverse for parking. They were big, heavy, complex transmissions that originated in Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles. Instead of 3 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate, there were 32 bolts holding things together. I remember all the cussing my dad did when trying to remove one from our 52 Olds when I was a kid.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
forestb

They do not sell new fleetside bed sides. You will need to find a mew bed in better shape than your own.

[QUOTE=BrokeTillDone;6047697]Thank for the welcome! I would just change the tailgate but the bed is pretty beat up. I figure it would be cheaper if I bought a new bed with tailgate than fix the existing one. What do you guys think? Is it cheaper to change it out or fix it? Below are pictures for reference:
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Chevy Fleetside

Looks like someone put a Big Block with TH400 tranny in it.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Yes original Hydramatic transmissions did not have a Park position on the indicator. The owner was suppose to know to shift into reverse for parking. They were big, heavy, complex transmissions that originated in Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles. Instead of 3 bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate, there were 32 bolts holding things together. I remember all the cussing my dad did when trying to remove one from our 52 Olds when I was a kid.
I think this explains why the previous owner said it wouldn't get out of 2nd gear. Seeing that they dropped in a THM400, when its in drive it shows as being in 2nd gear. I'm hoping this was the "non-issue". Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
BrokeTillDone

[quote=forestb;6048097]They do not sell new fleetside bed sides. You will need to find a mew bed in better shape than your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTillDone View Post
Thank for the welcome! I would just change the tailgate but the bed is pretty beat up. I figure it would be cheaper if I bought a new bed with tailgate than fix the existing one. What do you guys think? Is it cheaper to change it out or fix it? Below are pictures for reference:
I'm hoping they are relatively easy to come by. I am in no hurry so that should make the search a little easier. For the time being I am going to give it a shot and do some body work myself. I don't think I can make it look worse.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Looks like someone put a Big Block with TH400 tranny in it.
That was a pleasant surprise when I opened the hood.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
da_bears_da1

Welcome aboard! Was a newbie in your shoes 8 months ago but did not find this forum until month 3. As the guys have said, there are a ton of very knowledgeable members. If you think you are addicted, just wait.

The only other advice I would offer in addition to the good stuff above is bag and tag everything. I unfortunately had a couple of guys that helped during the tear down and would just toss stuff in a zip lock. When I took stuff off, I put it in a ziplock and wrote on the bag what it was. Did not realize at the time they were not tagging bags. I now have the fun of looking at a bag of bolts and wondering what they are for. As the smart guys before me said, take pictures. On my next build I guarantee I will take a picture of everything before it comes off.

Looking forward to your build thread. Have fun starting without knowing the final destination. It's the journey that is fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
BrokeTillDone

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post
Welcome aboard! Was a newbie in your shoes 8 months ago but did not find this forum until month 3. As the guys have said, there are a ton of very knowledgeable members. If you think you are addicted, just wait.

The only other advice I would offer in addition to the good stuff above is bag and tag everything. I unfortunately had a couple of guys that helped during the tear down and would just toss stuff in a zip lock. When I took stuff off, I put it in a ziplock and wrote on the bag what it was. Did not realize at the time they were not tagging bags. I now have the fun of looking at a bag of bolts and wondering what they are for. As the smart guys before me said, take pictures. On my next build I guarantee I will take a picture of everything before it comes off.

Looking forward to your build thread. Have fun starting without knowing the final destination. It's the journey that is fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's a great tip I will make sue to bag and label everything. I have been taking plenty of pictures and I imagine I will be taking a ton more. This will be my first ever build so I will want to document it from beginning to end.
Saw your build thread, the work is very impressive.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
da_bears_da1

[quote=BrokeTillDone;6048161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
They do not sell new fleetside bed sides. You will need to find a mew bed in better shape than your own.

I'm hoping they are relatively easy to come by. I am in no hurry so that should make the search a little easier. For the time being I am going to give it a shot and do some body work myself. I don't think I can make it look worse.
Just so that you know, there is a company in Oklahoma, Mar-K, that makes beds for our trucks. My bed was not worth saving at all so I will be getting a new one from them. Tons of good references on this site for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTillDone View Post
That's a great tip I will make sue to bag and label everything. I have been taking plenty of pictures and I imagine I will be taking a ton more. This will be my first ever build so I will want to document it from beginning to end.
Saw your build thread, the work is very impressive.
Thanks! Still learning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote