The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
donthekawguy

New rear end for my 66 shorty

When I got the truck the PO informed me that the spider gears were welded and he didn't know what gears were in it. No biggy I thought. So I finally got a new rear end for it and decided to get going on it today. I got the old one out, noticed a bunch of bad wiring for the tail lights and the springs were cut and not even attached to the trailing arms. I have been collecting all the parts for the swap for a couple of months now but it looks like I'll need another box from the UPS guy. The only thing I'm having problems with is getting the trailing arm bolts loose from the cross member. Thanx to Cptnfab for telling me to get new u bolts and cut the old ones off. My impact didn't even budge them! Same with the arm bolts. Anyway, heres some pics and I will be updating as I go. I hope it won't take to long. I did put my truck in storage with my insurance so I have to keep it off the road for 21 days anyway so no hurry I guess.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
donthekawguy

Re: New rear end for my 66 shorty

Just ordered new shocks, spring perches, adjustable whatchamacallit bar, shock relocator kit, new wiring harnesses, and tail lights, housings, screws and gaskets. Now I'm into this simple rear end swap for about a grand! OUCH! I still need a sway bar and powder coating done. But at least it will be done and done right so I won't have to do it again. Or at least thats how I justify spending so much. lol
Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Ta2Don

It's amazing how quick the dollars will add up on these trucks... but for me, and my "budget build," it's fun no matter the cost... The time spent bonding with Son and Grandson is priceless.
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
It's amazing how quick the dollars will add up on these trucks... but for me, and my "budget build," it's fun no matter the cost... The time spent bonding with Son and Grandson is priceless.
I wish my son would come over and learn some stuff but the older one is into imports and the younger one has no time but he does want to put a LS motor in his Colorado truck.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
donthekawguy

I did get whats left of the springs off this morning before it started to snow. I didn't even break a bolt!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
When I got the truck the PO informed me that the spider gears were welded and he didn't know what gears were in it. No biggy I thought. So I finally got a new rear end for it and decided to get going on it today. I got the old one out, noticed a bunch of bad wiring for the tail lights and the springs were cut and not even attached to the trailing arms. I have been collecting all the parts for the swap for a couple of months now but it looks like I'll need another box from the UPS guy. The only thing I'm having problems with is getting the trailing arm bolts loose from the cross member. Thanx to Cptnfab for telling me to get new u bolts and cut the old ones off. My impact didn't even budge them! Same with the arm bolts. Anyway, heres some pics and I will be updating as I go. I hope it won't take to long. I did put my truck in storage with my insurance so I have to keep it off the road for 21 days anyway so no hurry I guess.
It always seems to be a surprise on projects. They never get smaller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
Just ordered new shocks, spring perches, adjustable whatchamacallit bar, shock relocator kit, new wiring harnesses, and tail lights, housings, screws and gaskets. Now I'm into this simple rear end swap for about a grand! OUCH! I still need a sway bar and powder coating done. But at least it will be done and done right so I won't have to do it again. Or at least thats how I justify spending so much. lol
I keep revising my budget, on my 3rd one now and around double where I thought I would be. Just keep thinking how nice it will be when done.

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
donthekawguy

Finally got the bushings out and the arms are off to the powder coater. Got the shocks in today and should be getting more stuff tomorrow and Friday.

Pic of the metal sleeve cut up to get it out of the arm.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
donthekawguy

Deconstruction is done now almost time to rebuild. I got all these parts today. New taillight lenses and housings, new seals for the lights, new 4 inch springs, shocks, wiring harness, all new spring cups and hardware, chrome diff cover, por15 6 pack, u bolts and trailing arm bushings. Still waiting for the trailing arms from the powder coater, rear shock re locator kit and adjustable stabilizer bar. I'm also thinking of having my ten inch wide rallys coated and get new tires for them. Then I can get the tries off the extra set I have and get them coated. Not sure about that cuz I'm running out of money. Can't wait to get all the new stuff on and see how she feels!
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
donthekawguy

Got the rear end blasted and chenged one of the seals. Got the backing plate off and proceeded to cut off the spring nobby thing. I don't know what I was thinking. Good thing I have my old rear end to get parts off of. I sprayed the bare metal with a rust treatment and will be painting it with por15 tomorrow after I change the other seal and get it back together. I was hoping it had a posi in it but no luck.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
donthekawguy

Got the trailing arms back today and put them in. I can't wait til next week when I have 3 days off to get it all done. I'll have a few hours this week to get more done but I really want to be able to dive in.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
donthekawguy

I got the new springs in and shocks in. The rear end is por15'd and together. I do need to do the brakes. I got the new lines today and will be putting all new brake parts on. I wish I had more time today but I had to drive for 8 hours for truck driving school and I have to work 4 hours tonight then test for my CDL at 9 am. After the test I'm going to get the brake lines on and put the rear end in. Saturday will be a busy day! I will post pics as I go.