The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Steinerj56

AN6 fittings with mechanical fuel pump

I recently installed my rebuilt engine and am looking at finishing touches. I bought a Jeg's fuel pump and a straight 1/4 NPT to AN6 fitting. I installed only to find out when I installed it the end that went into the fuel pump stripped out. The aluminum came apart and was leaking when just sitting with out engine running. Threads were gone. I thought about trying to run a tap but since it was fuel related I decided it was best to just replace. I ordered one from Summit to see if it was any different. Look almost identical. Bought a Russel brand fitting also.

I started to finger tighten and found it only went in about 3 threads before it got tight. almost the same as the original. I am using a brass barb hose fitting on the inlet so I installed this and found it went a little further. I cleaned threads as best as possible and the AN fitting only went a little further. The whole threaded portion is approx. 1/2 inch deep and I am only going in about 1/4 inch before it gets tight. Before I throw away another $45 and buy a better brand fuel pump do you have any thoughts or ideas how to make it work better? should I use a non hardening sealer like permatex #2? Or just get it tight and see if it leaks?
Steinerj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
benny70

Re: AN6 fittings with mechanical fuel pump

I had the same sort of problem. Anyone find a solution?
benny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I think the fuel pump is tapped for straight threads like brake lines not NPT. That would explain why the NPT -AN tightens up quickly.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Steinerj56

summit says fuel pump inlet and outlet is 1/4 NPT. Is that not the same size as a 1/4 NPT straight to 6AN fitting?
Steinerj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
SS Tim

If it were me, I'd confirm it is not a "close enough" metric thread on either part. Then use a NPT tap to deepen the tapered threads so I could run the fitting in about 75% of its threaded length. Might need to grind the tap off or find a bottoming tap depending on the hole depth. Make sure you use a light, flushable grease on the tap to catch what it can and reverse blow the hole often. By that I mean use a tube extension on your blow gun and push it fully in before triggering the air and keep blowing as you extract it.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote