The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Toxic Orange

Brake Line - My First Official Post

Been posting a little on the site, but looking for some feedback for my first official post. Wondering if anyone has any ideas for repairing this kink in my rear brake line? Or is this a replacement only? Or you think it really has any effect on performance? I have disk in the front and drums in the rear. It seems to me I am primarily stopping with the front brakes. Thanks for any insight.
Attached Images

Toxic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Brake Line - My First Official Post

It needs to be replaced... look at Inline Tube or other manufacturers that sell prebent tube. You can also bend your own from straight stock.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
jocko

considering headers, etc - I'd just bend it on your own. That big bend is not necessary and it looks to be the line that just goes from the rear of the prop valve to the t-connection just inside the driver's side frame rail out front. Fairly simple bending and it's FUN! If you're new to bending, it's a good easy one to start on. If you've bent your own before, this will be easy. Then again, IF your setup is stock, the single line from inline tube would probably be fairly inexpensive and easier to install. but, keep in mind that adding in a single pre-bent into an existing system might not be as perfect of a fit as you hope for. I bought from inline tube and everything fit pretty well EXCEPT these specific lines - i.e. the ones from the prop valve to the left driver's side frame rail forward tee's. It took a little massaging to get it in there, so I figure, if you have to massage it anyway, might as well bend your own.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Toxic Orange

Thanks guys. I figured replacement was the answer but wanted to ask. I will check out inline tube. I agree that it could bend less and still do the job. Seems like stock lines were used where some custom bends may work better.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Brake Line - My First Official Post

That looks like a crazy bend for it to be that close to the engine. I would buy a length of tubing and do it myself.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
DnHolland

As said before, it needs to be replaced. Make sure you use a double flare union, if you splice it, not the compression fittings. No matter what the dufus at the parts store tells you, a compression fitting is NOT suitable for brake line applications.
DnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
GRX

While that is far from ideal, I have seen much worse kinks that didn't effect braking.

x2 on buying a length of tubing and making a replacement line yourself.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Toxic Orange

Thanks all!.. As it turns out I am the kind of guy that won't be able to live with it if its going to cause a problem. Actually think it may already as I am getting very little pressure from my drivers side rear when I try to bleed the brakes. Guess thats the last stop on the bus for the fluid since the main line travels down the passenger side.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
71swb4x4

As a sidenote you should be primarily stopping with your front brakes. They do most of the work.
I am not saying however your brakes are working is correct, but depending on what your interpretation of "primarily stopping with the front brakes" is, your truck may be just fine, or maybe way out of wack.