The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
72superBB

engine & carb question.

Here are a couple of questions I need help with.

My truck sat for a year after I got it and it sat for 2 years before that. I have been driving it for several weeks and seems to drive fine, but sucks down the gas (402BB and 4 bb carb could be the reason).

When I take the breather off the carb is wet looking all over the place. There is oil sitting in the bottom of the breather pan and the filter is all oily. THe hose comes from the passenger side valve cover and is hooked to a "flame arrester" (what the GM guy said it was) that goes into the vavle cover and the other end of the hose hooks into the bottom of the breather that sits on the carb.

Here are several pictures of it. (I'll post as soon as the board lets me.)

1. How do you know when your carb needs rebuilt, tuneup whatever?
2. What is causing the oil? (there is oil in the air filter and filter bottom tray)
3. Is the oil making it all wet looking? ((the carb is wet looking all over the place)
4. Should there be oil there? (in the filter and breather bottom pan)I say no cbeause that is obvious I think.
5. What should I do now?

I know my oil pressure is high, but the guy I bought the truck from said he put a heavy duty oil pump in it. When it is idling it is in the middle of the gauge and to the left side when accelerating.

THanks for your help

1990 Chevy SWB
72superBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
greasemonkey

One possibility is that you have blowby. I don't know how old your engine is or how many miles it has on it, but it sounds like excess pressure in the crankcase is blowing oil up through that tube into your air filter assembly. I know this can happen, as that is what my old engine did. Does the truck smoke? This is another indication of blowby.
Your carb could be oily just from the oil leaking down out of the air filter assembly (if that is possible). If it's gas leaking down, rebuild the carb.
I would do a compression check, if one or several of the cylinders are low, squirt some oil through the plug hole toward the cylinder; if the compression goes up, you have blowby.
If you have blowby, you will need to rebuild the engine eventually...
This is the worst case scenario. If you know the engine has low miles on it, or recently rebuilt, ignore this post.
Good luck!
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote