The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
62 bigwindow

front wheel cylinders

Replaced front wheel cylinders due to my 65 sitting for approx. 3-4 years
Bought new wheel cylinders from Oreillys and they seem to fit ok but after getting everything reassembled noticed that the bleeder screw is so close to the spindle on the back not sure I can get it loose to bleed the brakes..
You guys ever had this problem? or advice on how to bleed the front brakes?? thanks
62 bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: front wheel cylinders

Never dealt with this, but I would just remove the wheel cylinder with the hose still on, bleed, then bolt it back in.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
62 bigwindow

not sure that will work...having to remove the springs and shoes to remove it
Anyone else that will work or am I over thinking it?
62 bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
jayoldschool

Once removed, just put a hose clamp (or something) around the piston extension parts to stop the cylinders from popping out. There's always a way...
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yes...on the bleeder screw using the Oreillies front wheel cylinder. There are several manufactures of these wheel cylinders. I now have two that fit the front backing plates and leave just enough room to get a 6 point 10mm socket on them to open and close for bleeding. (A 6 point 3/8s won't slip over the almost metric size bleeder screw and the 10mm is a whisker loose on the screw but works)

Box end wrench? forget about it, not enough room. Though, a 3/8 open end wrench will sometimes just fit, barely allowing me to squeak the screw open and closed for bleeding with a hose in a jar of fluid (one man bleeding) and follow up by snugging down with the 10mm socket.

One option is to swap out bleeder screws. Find some with the same size thread and base but with a smaller hex end, this could allow using a box end bleeder wrench if you get a pair cylinders that are a bit close.

Both times I've replaced front wheel cylinders with the Orellies parts, the PS front was the one to give the most clearance trouble....this time on the 3rd cylinder I got one that has enough clearance for a socket...the first two wouldn't even clear a thinwall socket!

I was tempted to grind clearance in the spindle vertical shaft! But, avoided doing that for now with parts swapping.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Once removed, just put a hose clamp (or something) around the piston extension parts to stop the cylinders from popping out. There's always a way...
Damn good idea!
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
tincan1966

Just clean out and transfer your old bleeder screws to the new cylinders if they are the extended type.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote