The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Cab moving...

Does anyone have any good ways to move a complete cab from one frame to another without damaging the cab? I have a cherry picker and a bunch of good ratchet straps, a welder and a massive amount of shop tools at my disposal. But, I am by myself, and I may have one other person there to help me move this cab...
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
79Betty

Re: Cab moving...

2 cherry pockers, one on eac side. I used an i beam, some say 4x4's... Very's person to persin. Lift cab up, roll out frame roll under new frame and set down. How i did my first one ad my 2nd next month. I'm sure others will comment on here
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
2 cherry pockers, one on eac side. I used an i beam, some say 4x4's... Very's person to persin. Lift cab up, roll out frame roll under new frame and set down. How i did my first one ad my 2nd next month. I'm sure others will comment on here
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok now thats an idea but how do I get the wheels of the frames over the wheels and legs of the cherry pickers?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
79Betty

I have little 14 steelies off a chevy luv i had. I had them on there just go slow. I chalked the pickers wheels so they dont move
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
DREAMER1

Post pics when you do decide to make the lift. We just removed my cab last week. 6 guys=plenty of sore backs. We did it before on another truck and for some reason it was heavier the 2nd time. (Maybe we're just getting older, so it hurts easier)
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
D.FENS

I think somebody on here makes a fixture that bolts to the cab floor so you can lift a cab with one cherry picker.

The same guy makes a deal to tilt a cab over on it's back to do floor repairs, if that jars anybody's memory.

rcknrolr or something close to that.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
dpruim

Check out this thread. He did it with a single lift
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572004
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
cory d

how heavy is an empty cab compared to a bed like a long fleetside bed?
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
tex_waco_usmc

Ok, so now the moment that everyone (including myself) has been waiting on! Movement of the cab without the use of a lift! So here is how I did it:

Name:  Cab in the air.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  33.9 KB

I used 6 ratcheting straps. two big ones to pic the cab up. I used the rocker panel underneath and wrapped the strap around there from front to back on both sides. In order to prevent the inevitable cab roll forward due to the weight of the firewall, I used a couple of straps, hooked to the lip on the firewall and ran them over the top of the cab and all the way to the rear of my 30 X 40 shop and hooked to the beam on the back wall.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  33.8 KB

Then to prevent the cherry pickers from rolling towards the cab and damaging the doors under the weight I strapped them to the outer walls on the workshop. You can see the black strap on the upright bar on the cherry picker in this pic.

Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  39.9 KB

Then it was slow and steady and when we had it high enough to clear the drivetrain we pushed the rolling chassis under it. It probably wasnt the safest way but we made sure to stay clear of the cab and never got underneath it. It was an adrenaline rush but it worked out great!

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  38.6 KB

So now we have the cab mounted!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #10
izzy_Britton

This was probably not the best or brightest solution but several years ago i bought a cheapo quad (4-wheeler) which that i welded to a peice of 2x2 square tube and stuffed it up in the rafters of my shop with a battery and a remote control (on a cord). I made my body lifting parts out of bolts with steel loops welded to them. threaded the O-bolts into the cowl (stock holes for hood/hing) and then a simple loop welded to a piece of angle that went in the back window hole and gravity held it in place. The whole thing was connected to the winch cable via another steel hoop and I used some smallish 1/4 inch steel cable (dog leash / anchor line stuff from the hardware store). I used this same set up with extra O-bolts for beds and full size blazer bodies too. was in the whole gig 250$ maybe? inflation today might kill ya tho.

Like i said probably not the best solution, definitely not for safety but it worked very well.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the best solution we had was a stripped cab four guys and one case of beer

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
cmyc5575

LOL Myself and blay09 lifted an empty cab and move it about 10-15 feet by ourselves with some ease. Also considering that his was unbolted and just sitting on i cant remeber, but wasnt to bad. (im also a fat/strong guy) lol
cmyc5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
wraprail

I just removed my 85 cab then reinstalled it solo. After removing the doors and hindges I cut a piece of 2"x1/4" flat bar about 3' long and bolted it in place of the door hindges.
I also bolted in a pair of bench seat tracks in the stock location.
Then built an A frame out of 1.5 square tubing to which I added casters to both legs.
The hinge plates welded to one side of Aframe, then ran a piece of 1.5 through the other side of A and across the seat tracks. Welded this tubing to seat tracks and A frame.
This was done with the frame supported on stands as high as possible.
Then i just removed cab bolts, lowered frame and rolled cab off frame.
This way i could move the cab around by myself.
Installed by myself just oppisite.