The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

What Materials do i need ?

i want to convert my steel rusted bed floor with a wood bed what will i need to convert it over ? What am i looking at price wise ? not looking for expensive high quality wood , this is gonna be a Work truck so its not gonna have that high gloss crap in it haha im talkin like solid oak Planks maybe somthing strong.
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: What Materials do i need ?

I'm going to use black locust. I love white oak but my research say black locust is soo tough that once it dry you have to predrill holes for nails. That's tough. Used for fence posts fo 80years and no rotten. White oak was used in ship building so it's no slouch. Good luck, brian f.
Posted via Mobile Device
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
CC69Rat

The front header panel and rear bed floor panel are different, you'd need the wood floor cross supports under the bed and of course your wood.

SWB or long? I have some extra SWB fleet strips for the wood, but they are the painted type. (Not polished) I'll be listing them in the parts section in a couple days.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

i have a lwb 69 CST and black locust ? hmmm that might do it haha Thanks guys
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
woodwright
Enjoying left field

You might research Ipe too. Also known as Brazillion Walnut or Ironwood, its available all over as deck material. It rates over twice as hard as Black Locust on the Janka scale, and probably cheaper and easier to get.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
68c10airstream

Even though i dabble in woodworking, i forgot the janka scale. The non rotten fence post was what convinced me. I picked up a good load in our minivan ( yes a minivan, with almost 300hp i will add) last fall from southern minnesota for just under $3.00 a board rough sawn, kiln dried. we picked this up for the 68 c10 and some adirondeck chairs that are amazing for the back. I think ipe is fantastic looking but i wanted to source usa, and the store in minnesota has been fantastic. It seems ipe has been forested properly, but oak, ash and black locust to me remind me of old trucks. To be honest i really like paduak, with the oranges and browns and how it changes with uv exposure. What finish were you thinking? Oh, i have a planer for the roughsawn, and the ipe i found was finished all four sides and around $8.00 a bf. Thanks for the heads up, brian f.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
68c10airstream

Hi southern shaker, God if i lived in texas it would be mesquite! i moved our daughter and son-in-law back from tucson, no extra time and all i could think of was, can i just stop and get $1,000 dollars worth of mesquite, and alot of peppers. I live on the lake superior shore line and white pine soo big you can't put your arms around, but not much oak, almost no ash, and maple just doesn't do it for me. (probably to picky i know). Good luck, Brian F.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
domeier

It is now illegal to possess wood in California. A buddy of mine got caught with an ounce of red oak in his pocket, and is now doing 30 to life in San Quentin. Just say no!
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote