The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
broncos33

Question dead battery

I have a peoblem with my battery dieing if i leave it connected over night so what i have to do is disconnect the pos cable.I notice that when i reconnect the cable there is a clicking sound that sounds like it come from the distributer as if the coil is being feed power.Any help would be appreciated thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
broncos33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Xeen

Re: dead battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos33 View Post
I have a peoblem with my battery dieing if i leave it connected over night so what i have to do is disconnect the pos cable.I notice that when i reconnect the cable there is a clicking sound that sounds like it come from the distributer as if the coil is being feed power.Any help would be appreciated thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Hi Broncos33;
I am not an electrical expert, however pointing out the obvious there is an electrical circuit constantly in use.
Often times it can be something silly like your child putting a dime in the cigarette lighter outlet.
Other times it is more complicated like a positive wire without a fuse being shorted to ground, or an inadequate grounding strap, check them all there should be four for a complete loop, engine to frame, cab to frame, negative battery cable to both frame and body.
You need to start trouble shooting the problem, trace every single wire that isn't inside the cab and carefully check for damage, if however you find nothing you will have to start tracing the wiring inside the cab to look for damage which can be much more difficult to find.
Obviously these trucks are very old and they develop electrical issues over time.
If you find damaged wiring you will obviously need to repair it, I suggest you go down to harbor freight and pick up a heat shrink gun, heat shrink tubes, a industrial soldering iron and some flux core solder seperately, you may also want to buy several small rolls of different gauge insulated wire for the repairs.